Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All young quilters out there... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-young-quilters-out-there-t190467.html)

Lynnie25 05-31-2012 04:02 PM

I started quilting at age 27, now 57 and have just taught a 27yo friend to quilt and she loves it. Never too young or old to try anything.

Now that power charges are skyrocketing, I am overwhelmed with people asking me to make them quilts so perhaps the younger generation may need to take up this craft to keep themselves warm.

momto5 05-31-2012 04:38 PM

I am one of the "older" ladies...but I have quilted since I was 35 and can now say I've quilted for half my life, so far! Tell him SOME of us "old ladies" also do other things such as ...pistol shoot!!!! So maybe, just maybe, we aren't as old as he may think...or maybe we're younger than he thinks...and by the way, I hit a 1" circle 49 out of 50 shots at the shooting range the other day...:) and the 50th shot was still in the kill zone...LOL

fayzer 05-31-2012 04:41 PM

I made my first quilt at 41 (I'm much older now.) If anyone call that old, they can come stand in my shoes. LOL

QuiltyReese 05-31-2012 05:07 PM

I am 32 and I have been quilting since I was in my early 20's.

quiltyfeelings 05-31-2012 05:24 PM

My 16 yo daughter quilts.

Christine George 05-31-2012 05:31 PM

I may be the "old woman" here, but I can push on that machine pedal just like any teenager! Tell your friend that he shouldn't open his mouth until he's done the research required. Then teach him how to quilt!!

Dolphyngyrl 05-31-2012 07:14 PM

Im 31 and have quilted since my early 20's not as heavily as now though because of funding. Don't feel bad I was told the same thing and I hardly consider myself old. Some people just don't have a clue. I don't know when that rumor got started, how do they think people made quilts in the olden days. Do they think they just woke up at 60 and said now I need a quilt for winter lets start, they were taught as children by their moms and so on. Thats how most utility skills were taught. If only old women quilted the artform would have died long ago when those old women died. Tell them if it seems like only older people quilt its more likely to be due to the expense of the hobby rather than the liking of it because 19 year olds don't have a lot of funds to devote to quilting as older women do with higher paying jobs, at least thats so in my case my early quilting was funded by my aunt, if it hadn't been for her i wouldn't have had the money for the hobby than and would not have fallen in love with it. as for the lady part tell them to keep their sexist comments to themselves because I happen to really love mens quilts.

krysti 05-31-2012 07:22 PM

41 and just started quilting, and although my children and stepchildren call me OLD, I am NOT :)

FLpenguin 05-31-2012 07:37 PM

I am 28 and have been quilting for about 2 years. I love it and am going to be teaching my mom some basic quilting starting tomorrow.

sew_southern 05-31-2012 07:55 PM

I'm 42, been quilting since about 32, sewing items since 14. My oldest DD made her first & only quilt when she was 16, however she knits & crochets all the time and she's the ripe old age of 20. :)