Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   All young quilters out there... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/all-young-quilters-out-there-t190467.html)

Cindy60545 06-01-2012 03:13 AM

Well, I guess I'm one of the "old ladies" at 62. However, my 8 yr old GS & next door neighbor boy, 12, are learning to quilt. I'm passing on to them my knowledge of quilting. The other kids at school tease them all the time for doing "girlie" stuff & I just tell them that they're jealous 'cuz the other kids don't have anyone that will take the time to teach them skills they can use the rest of their lives.

tbeard420 06-01-2012 03:48 AM

My dad taught to quilt at 25 and still consider myself a beginner. I am also teaching my daughter at 17 how to quilt

Weenween 06-01-2012 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5256129)
A male friend (?) and I were talking the other day and I told him I quilted and he said only old women quilted. I'm 58 and said I wasn't an old woman and didn't know what constituted an old woman. I told him that women and men of all ages quilted. I said there were many 20 and 30 year old people who quilted. Any of you want to come forward and let yourself be known so I can tell my friend?

Thats right i started when I was in my early 20's for my family I will be 49 in just a few days.I still only do hand quilting for daughter and thats all I have a bad back now thanks to my stubborn will.I still love making tops and childrens quilts and a few family quilts I have made all 7 brothers and sisters and all my niece's and nephew,great niece's and newphew's also.thanks all yes their are young quilters.

Weenween 06-01-2012 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 (Post 5257465)
Well, I guess I'm one of the "old ladies" at 62. However, my 8 yr old GS & next door neighbor boy, 12, are learning to quilt. I'm passing on to them my knowledge of quilting. The other kids at school tease them all the time for doing "girlie" stuff & I just tell them that they're jealous 'cuz the other kids don't have anyone that will take the time to teach them skills they can use the rest of their lives.

thats is so true no one wants to teach good stuff anymore just the not so good.Keep up the good teaching.

aeble 06-01-2012 03:59 AM

I just turned thirty. I know my little niece thinks that means I'm O-L-D, but I wouldn't say I am.

3incollege 06-01-2012 04:11 AM

I know alot of young quilters! I'm 56, wish I started this when I was much younger. I got my first brand new sewing machine for my 17 th birthday , but, sewed garments. (kinda miss that). Did alot of needlework when i was young.
Non- quilters just don't get it! They have no idea what it is about. Quilting is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle

3incollege 06-01-2012 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 (Post 5257465)

Our high School teaches quilting as a Home Ec class to both girls and boys.

maviskw 06-01-2012 04:17 AM

My granddaughter is now 23. She and I have been quilting together since she was 10. We went to 4-H quilt camp for 10 years, and since that have made several more quilts. Right now we are working on one for her brother that we hope to have in the fall quilt show at our club.

J.M. 06-01-2012 04:22 AM

24 years old and quilting since I was 21. Am I old now? LOL

mummadee 06-01-2012 04:33 AM

Did you tell him that only older women with no young families are the only ones that have the time to quilt. The rest of them are still trying to raise children, cook, clean, chauffeur, PTA, Sunday School, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, baseball, soccer, football, church and take care of him?