Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I Wierd for Liking to do Binding?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-wierd-liking-do-binding-t159834.html)

Jazzz 10-12-2011 06:01 AM

LOL... I've read enough posts to know that a bunch of you actually hate the binding process. I admit that binding with the sewing machine is a little intimidating to me. But I found that doing it by hand is fun and makes me feel like I can accomplish something. Probably because it's the last step of finishing a quilt and I found out on this board, I am a "topper." I don't finish too many of my quilts. My tops get hung and I admire them as works of art.

I'm not quite sure if I am actually good at my binding. It works for me and I think it's a great project to have when I just want to sit around and watch (listen) to the TV. Never thought of trading with someone for maybe simple machine quilting. Maybe a great way to meet more quilting friends!!

johanka 10-12-2011 06:03 AM

I have always liked to sew the binding on.

amazon 10-12-2011 06:04 AM

No, your not weird! I love to do binding, when I first joined here I did binding only by machine. After my first hand sewn binding I said never again by machine. Love the process even though it is time consuming. :thumbup:

Ann912 10-12-2011 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by johanka
I have always liked to sew the binding on.

Me too.

dmyers 10-12-2011 06:05 AM

I like doing binding too! But I do it on the machine, so I don't know if that counts. When I first started quilting I took a binding class and it was the best thing I ever did. To this day I still have the written instructions and demo of connecting the binding strips.

tutt 10-12-2011 06:07 AM

I love the binding also, but like dmyers I do it on the machine. I LOVE the feeling of finishing something!

ShowMama 10-12-2011 06:07 AM

Well, if you're weird, then so am I. I really like doing the binding. I love designing, piecing, and binding, just not so much the actual layering and quilting part.

Zhillslady 10-12-2011 06:11 AM

Check with a fellow quilter. I cannot do a lot of hand work and have a firend that cannot do FMQ. Simply has no gift for it so we barter. I FMQ her tops and she does all of my binding by hand. It's a fair trade if you get someone like me that can't or won't do it themselves.

KathyAire 10-12-2011 06:11 AM

Jazzz wrote: Am I Wierd for Liking to do Binding??

YES :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh how I hate to do binding.................

QuiltE 10-12-2011 06:12 AM

I enjoy the final hand binding step. Actually, I find it quite relaxing to just sit there with my feet up and stitch away. While it seems like a lot of miles to cover, though it really doesn't take all that long!

I always see binding as the final crown on the project, and like to see it well done. And soon, another project is finished, done and completed! And I can SMILE and enjoy the results!!!

Doing it for someone else? ... hhmmmm never thought of that, though I wouldn't mind.