Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I Wierd for Liking to do Binding??

LOL... I've read enough posts to know that a bunch of you actually hate the binding process. I admit that binding with the sewing machine is a little intimidating to me. But I found that doing it by hand is fun and makes me feel like I can accomplish something. Probably because it's the last step of finishing a quilt and I found out on this board, I am a "topper." I don't finish too many of my quilts. My tops get hung and I admire them as works of art.

I'm not quite sure if I am actually good at my binding. It works for me and I think it's a great project to have when I just want to sit around and watch (listen) to the TV. Never thought of trading with someone for maybe simple machine quilting. Maybe a great way to meet more quilting friends!!

I have always liked to sew the binding on.

Blog Entries
    No, your not weird! I love to do binding, when I first joined here I did binding only by machine. After my first hand sewn binding I said never again by machine. Love the process even though it is time consuming. :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by johanka
    I have always liked to sew the binding on.
    Me too.

I like doing binding too! But I do it on the machine, so I don't know if that counts. When I first started quilting I took a binding class and it was the best thing I ever did. To this day I still have the written instructions and demo of connecting the binding strips.

I love the binding also, but like dmyers I do it on the machine. I LOVE the feeling of finishing something!

Well, if you're weird, then so am I. I really like doing the binding. I love designing, piecing, and binding, just not so much the actual layering and quilting part.

Banned
    Check with a fellow quilter. I cannot do a lot of hand work and have a firend that cannot do FMQ. Simply has no gift for it so we barter. I FMQ her tops and she does all of my binding by hand. It's a fair trade if you get someone like me that can't or won't do it themselves.

Jazzz wrote: Am I Wierd for Liking to do Binding??

YES :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh how I hate to do binding.................

I enjoy the final hand binding step. Actually, I find it quite relaxing to just sit there with my feet up and stitch away. While it seems like a lot of miles to cover, though it really doesn't take all that long!

I always see binding as the final crown on the project, and like to see it well done. And soon, another project is finished, done and completed! And I can SMILE and enjoy the results!!!

Doing it for someone else? ... hhmmmm never thought of that, though I wouldn't mind.

I like sewing it on, too....I love the last few stitches when you realize "the quilt is DONE" and turn it over to see how much that REALLY finishes off the quilt!

We can all be weird together. :) I like doing the bindings - I sew the front by machine, press and do the back by hand. A king-size quilt can take three or four evenings to hand-finish, but I like hand work and it's worth it to have one DONE! :)

I LOVE doing binding. Everything about it. Making the strip, ironing it, sewing it. LOVE IT.

I enjoy applying the binding, too! I've only done it by machine, but look forward to trying the handsewn binding sometime soon. I love watching the quilt near completion!!

I also like doing the binding by hand, its relaxing to me..

I love to hand sew on binding. AHHHHH the finished product!! But with hand arthritis, I don't hand sew everything. If it's a wall hanging I use steam a seam on the back and it works great.

Oh me too! I love every step of doing the binding. I think it's so relaxing, plus it's exciting knowing that the quilt is almost finished.

I love hand sewing the binding on. To me it is relaxing and I feel like it is a old, ancient action that women have done for centuries. It feels like a connection/continuation with those women. How's that for weird?

I love hand sewing the binding on. To me it is relaxing and I feel like it is a old, ancient action that women have done for centuries. It feels like a connection/continuation with those women. How's that for weird?

Blog Entries
    i like doing bindings enough that i even do them for friends who do not want to do theirs-
    for me it is the (finishing touch) to a project-- the last sewing step before the finished project goes into the washer- another project finished-

I like to do binding too! I do mine all by machine. I think like you, that I enjoy doing that last step that will finish off my quilt.

Blog Entries
    I love sewing the binding on because it's the last step, and then the quilt is finished. I also love to handsew, so that helps

Blog Entries
    I sew the binding on the back side of the quilt by machine then fold it to the front side and hand stitch it down, I like the look of hand work on the front of my quilt. I .love doing the binding as it means the quilt is almost ready to use or hang.

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like to bind as well. It's nice to throw a quilt on my lap on a cold night and hand stitch the binding on while watching TV or talking on the phone. Plus it gives me a sense of accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay
    I like to do binding too! I do mine all by machine. I think like you, that I enjoy doing that last step that will finish off my quilt.
    Me too! I love to finish my quilts. I machine sew them. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast