Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wierd scissors

At the thrift store the other day, I grabbed a plastic bag that had a small UFO in it. It had fabric scraps, a couple of squares and a 12" piece of batting for .99. Today I finally dumped the bag to see what all was in there, and besides the above, there were several smaller spools of thread and 2 pairs of scissors. One is a regular pair of Fiskers, but the other is a little smaller pair of what looks to be stainless Ginghers. On one of the blades there is a flareout that looks like half of a leaf of good size.
    Can you tell me what kind of scissors these are and what they are used for?
    Thanks up front as I know someone will be able to tell me!! hugs and smilessss

Those are applique scissors. I bought a pair many years ago when I was interested in applique. I still haven't managed to use them right.

They are appliques scissors to cut out backing when using freezer paper without accidentally cutting your top fabric

called duck bill applique scissors. I think?

Kas
    Score!

Nice buy. Good for cutting the back fabric out after you applique.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    That is a fabulous score!
    Someone at the thrift store failed to inspect that package before pricing it, obviously; but it isn't your job to tell them how to do theirs!!! They retail for up to $30.

Now, you've got to take up applique since you're qwell equipped. :D

Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    A pair of Fiskars and a pair of Gingher applique scissors for 99 cents? Boy, what a bargain!

Great finds!!

Blog Entries
    what a deal you got!! I paid a kings ransom for my Gingher applique scissors!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Someone at the thrift store failed to inspect that package before pricing it, obviously; but it isn't your job to tell them how to do theirs!!! They retail for up to $30.

Jan in VA
    ^^^^^ What she said ^^^^^

SCORE!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Hey... I have a pair like that in my mom's sewing stuff... have been wondering what they were used for and now I know!! Thanks everyone!!

Now, to take up applique'... let's see, what am I not going to do to fit applique' into my life? hmmmmmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    At the thrift store the other day, I grabbed a plastic bag that had a small UFO in it. It had fabric scraps, a couple of squares and a 12" piece of batting for .99. Today I finally dumped the bag to see what all was in there, and besides the above, there were several smaller spools of thread and 2 pairs of scissors. One is a regular pair of Fiskers, but the other is a little smaller pair of what looks to be stainless Ginghers. On one of the blades there is a flareout that looks like half of a leaf of good size.
    Can you tell me what kind of scissors these are and what they are used for?
    Thanks up front as I know someone will be able to tell me!! hugs and smilessss
    NOT to mention costly too!!! you got a great deal! 8-)

I use my applique sissors when ever I want to trim and get really close but worry about cutting the main fabric. They are one of those tools that until you have them, you didn't know you needed them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I use my applique sissors when ever I want to trim and get really close but worry about cutting the main fabric. They are one of those tools that until you have them, you didn't know you needed them.
    ditto

If they look like this...you have a pair of Gingher Applique Scissors. They retail for $40, but you can find them online for a sale price of $30. I think you found a great deal!!!!

Gingher Applique Scissors
    Name:  Attachment-206357.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  6.3 KB

Blog Entries
    Applique or duck bill scissors. WOW, what a find, as they are very expensive. I use mine for applique but, the biggest use I have for them, is trimming the threads off a finished quilt. Congratulations on your find!

Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    If they look like this...you have a pair of Gingher Applique Scissors. They retail for $40, but you can find them online for a sale price of $30. I think you found a great deal!!!!
    Yes, that is exactly the ones! Wow, I sure hope they were not in there by accident and someone isn't at home searching madly thru their sewing stuff and under the sofa cushions for them. :shock:

Congrats on a great find.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    Yes, that is exactly the ones! Wow, I sure hope they were not in there by accident and someone isn't at home searching madly thru their sewing stuff and under the sofa cushions for them. :shock:
    It's quite possible that is exactly what happened. :cry: sad for the person that donated, but :-D happy circumstance for you.

I have these exact scissors...they are wonderful for applique and heirloom shadow work.

If you have an embroidery machine they are great for cutting away excess stabilizer, too.

Ahh well, I don't have an embroidery machine and I do very minimal applique as hand sewing is very difficult for me. But hey, I have cool conversation starting scissors!! :D

Jan in VA
    Yippers!!! that is what they are!!! I have 2 pair .... the first one was used by my yng son, when he was 12, as I found them on his desk, using it for cutting his hobby wire!!! that is why i have 2 !!! the nicks were able to be removes by the scissor sharpener guy, but just never cut the same...

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbreon
    I have 2 pair .... the first one was used by my yng son, when he was 12, as I found them on his desk, using it for cutting his hobby wire!!! that is why i have 2 !!! the nicks were able to be removes by the scissor sharpener guy, but just never cut the same...
    Gingher scissors can be sent to Gingher in NC to be professionally sharpened in their factory for less than $10....absolutely worth it for having *the right people* handle your precious cutting tools. http://www.gingher.com/pages/repair-and-maintenance/4/

I've used them for years! Quick turn around.

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by pbreon
    I have 2 pair .... the first one was used by my yng son, when he was 12, as I found them on his desk, using it for cutting his hobby wire!!! that is why i have 2 !!! the nicks were able to be removes by the scissor sharpener guy, but just never cut the same...
    Gingher scissors can be sent to Gingher in NC to be professionally sharpened in their factory for less than $10....absolutely worth it for having *the right people* handle your precious cutting tools. http://www.gingher.com/pages/repair-and-maintenance/4/

I've used them for years! Quick turn around.

Jan in VA
    Thanks Jan!!! I think that is what I will do... it would sure be worth it....