Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Wierd scissors

  1. #1
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,587
    At the thrift store the other day, I grabbed a plastic bag that had a small UFO in it. It had fabric scraps, a couple of squares and a 12" piece of batting for .99. Today I finally dumped the bag to see what all was in there, and besides the above, there were several smaller spools of thread and 2 pairs of scissors. One is a regular pair of Fiskers, but the other is a little smaller pair of what looks to be stainless Ginghers. On one of the blades there is a flareout that looks like half of a leaf of good size.
    Can you tell me what kind of scissors these are and what they are used for?
    Thanks up front as I know someone will be able to tell me!! hugs and smilessss

  2. #2
    Super Member jeaninmaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, Where else!
    Posts
    1,580
    Those are applique scissors. I bought a pair many years ago when I was interested in applique. I still haven't managed to use them right.

  3. #3
    Super Member Dolphyngyrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    5,701
    They are appliques scissors to cut out backing when using freezer paper without accidentally cutting your top fabric

  4. #4
    Super Member sweetpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    southeast Kansas
    Posts
    1,463
    called duck bill applique scissors. I think?

  5. #5
    Kas
    Kas is offline
    Super Member Kas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Renton, WA
    Posts
    2,044
    Score!

  6. #6
    Super Member frarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,005
    Nice buy. Good for cutting the back fabric out after you applique.

  7. #7
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,213
    That is a fabulous score!
    Someone at the thrift store failed to inspect that package before pricing it, obviously; but it isn't your job to tell them how to do theirs!!! They retail for up to $30.

    Now, you've got to take up applique since you're qwell equipped. :D

    Jan in VA

  8. #8
    Super Member quiltsRfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    8,059
    Blog Entries
    1
    A pair of Fiskars and a pair of Gingher applique scissors for 99 cents? Boy, what a bargain!

  9. #9
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    26,821
    Great finds!!

  10. #10
    Super Member snipforfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,971
    Blog Entries
    8
    what a deal you got!! I paid a kings ransom for my Gingher applique scissors!

  11. #11
    Super Member jrhboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Lexington Park, Maryland
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    That is a fabulous score!
    Someone at the thrift store failed to inspect that package before pricing it, obviously; but it isn't your job to tell them how to do theirs!!! They retail for up to $30.

    Now, you've got to take up applique since you're qwell equipped. :D

    Jan in VA
    ^^^^^ What she said ^^^^^

    SCORE!!!!!

  12. #12
    Super Member running1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Clinton, OK
    Posts
    1,642
    Blog Entries
    1
    Hey... I have a pair like that in my mom's sewing stuff... have been wondering what they were used for and now I know!! Thanks everyone!!

    Now, to take up applique'... let's see, what am I not going to do to fit applique' into my life? hmmmmmmmm......

  13. #13
    Super Member icon17's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington,State
    Posts
    1,689
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    At the thrift store the other day, I grabbed a plastic bag that had a small UFO in it. It had fabric scraps, a couple of squares and a 12" piece of batting for .99. Today I finally dumped the bag to see what all was in there, and besides the above, there were several smaller spools of thread and 2 pairs of scissors. One is a regular pair of Fiskers, but the other is a little smaller pair of what looks to be stainless Ginghers. On one of the blades there is a flareout that looks like half of a leaf of good size.
    Can you tell me what kind of scissors these are and what they are used for?
    Thanks up front as I know someone will be able to tell me!! hugs and smilessss
    NOT to mention costly too!!! you got a great deal! 8-)

  14. #14
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I use my applique sissors when ever I want to trim and get really close but worry about cutting the main fabric. They are one of those tools that until you have them, you didn't know you needed them.

  15. #15
    Senior Member connie_1936's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    mesa and payson, arizona
    Posts
    805
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    I use my applique sissors when ever I want to trim and get really close but worry about cutting the main fabric. They are one of those tools that until you have them, you didn't know you needed them.
    ditto

  16. #16
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    If they look like this...you have a pair of Gingher Applique Scissors. They retail for $40, but you can find them online for a sale price of $30. I think you found a great deal!!!!

    Gingher Applique Scissors
    Name:  Attachment-206357.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  6.3 KB

  17. #17
    Super Member quilterella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Small town south of Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    1
    Applique or duck bill scissors. WOW, what a find, as they are very expensive. I use mine for applique but, the biggest use I have for them, is trimming the threads off a finished quilt. Congratulations on your find!

  18. #18
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,587
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    If they look like this...you have a pair of Gingher Applique Scissors. They retail for $40, but you can find them online for a sale price of $30. I think you found a great deal!!!!
    Yes, that is exactly the ones! Wow, I sure hope they were not in there by accident and someone isn't at home searching madly thru their sewing stuff and under the sofa cushions for them. :shock:

  19. #19
    Super Member wanda lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    In the country in Ohio
    Posts
    4,991
    Congrats on a great find.

  20. #20
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    If they look like this...you have a pair of Gingher Applique Scissors. They retail for $40, but you can find them online for a sale price of $30. I think you found a great deal!!!!
    Yes, that is exactly the ones! Wow, I sure hope they were not in there by accident and someone isn't at home searching madly thru their sewing stuff and under the sofa cushions for them. :shock:
    It's quite possible that is exactly what happened. :cry: sad for the person that donated, but :-D happy circumstance for you.

    I have these exact scissors...they are wonderful for applique and heirloom shadow work.

  21. #21
    Super Member kateyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Posts
    2,257
    If you have an embroidery machine they are great for cutting away excess stabilizer, too.

  22. #22
    Super Member wildyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Upstate NY, north of Syracuse Area
    Posts
    5,587
    Ahh well, I don't have an embroidery machine and I do very minimal applique as hand sewing is very difficult for me. But hey, I have cool conversation starting scissors!! :D

  23. #23
    pbreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    That is a fabulous score!
    Someone at the thrift store failed to inspect that package before pricing it, obviously; but it isn't your job to tell them how to do theirs!!! They retail for up to $30.

    Now, you've got to take up applique since you're qwell equipped. :D

    Jan in VA
    Yippers!!! that is what they are!!! I have 2 pair .... the first one was used by my yng son, when he was 12, as I found them on his desk, using it for cutting his hobby wire!!! that is why i have 2 !!! the nicks were able to be removes by the scissor sharpener guy, but just never cut the same...

  24. #24
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,213
    Quote Originally Posted by pbreon
    I have 2 pair .... the first one was used by my yng son, when he was 12, as I found them on his desk, using it for cutting his hobby wire!!! that is why i have 2 !!! the nicks were able to be removes by the scissor sharpener guy, but just never cut the same...
    Gingher scissors can be sent to Gingher in NC to be professionally sharpened in their factory for less than $10....absolutely worth it for having *the right people* handle your precious cutting tools. http://www.gingher.com/pages/repair-and-maintenance/4/

    I've used them for years! Quick turn around.

    Jan in VA

  25. #25
    pbreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Warrensburg, MO
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by pbreon
    I have 2 pair .... the first one was used by my yng son, when he was 12, as I found them on his desk, using it for cutting his hobby wire!!! that is why i have 2 !!! the nicks were able to be removes by the scissor sharpener guy, but just never cut the same...
    Gingher scissors can be sent to Gingher in NC to be professionally sharpened in their factory for less than $10....absolutely worth it for having *the right people* handle your precious cutting tools. http://www.gingher.com/pages/repair-and-maintenance/4/

    I've used them for years! Quick turn around.

    Jan in VA
    Thanks Jan!!! I think that is what I will do... it would sure be worth it....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.