Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/another-reason-wash-your-fabric-t215722.html)

Beachbound 03-07-2013 08:35 AM

Another Reason To Wash Your Fabric!!!!

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here but yesterday as I was getting fabric measured the saleslady got a funny look on her face. She said that she felt something between the layers. Slowly she folded back the top layer & was relieved to only find a piece of grasslike weed. Then she told me that she has found dead mice in bolts before. YUCK!!! I guess since most of our fabric comes from overseas you just don't know what is on the boat with it. Now if you still don't want to wash your fabric, that is fine by me but I thought y'all might be interested.

AlienQuilter 03-07-2013 08:39 AM

Ew!!!! I like to wash fabric to get sizing and other chemicals out. I also have to use unscented soap for baths and unscented laundry detergent - skin allergies! Not just me but my DH and youngest son.

Canada Kate 03-07-2013 08:39 AM

Eeeewwww, mice, gross! I always wash my fabric anyway, but thanks for the reminder of another reason to do so (besides colour running).

SherriB 03-07-2013 08:41 AM

Yikes!!!! I seldom, if ever, pre-wash fabric I buy new. I always wash fabric when I buy it from the thrift stores or yard sales. Knowing things are found in new fabrics makes me re-think about washing new fabrics.

mighty 03-07-2013 09:03 AM

I am a washer. I know not everone is but I can not help myself and this is just another reason to.

Mariposa 03-07-2013 09:10 AM

I am a washer too. Gotta get rid of the chemicals and smells. Thanks for sharing this!

Joset 03-07-2013 09:15 AM

i am also a washer after i buy it. thanks for info

auntpiggylpn 03-07-2013 09:26 AM

I too am a pre washer for allergy issues as well. I just don't understand the thinking behind not washing either before or after making the quilt. This fabric goes into a quilt that will probably be used to wrap up in. These unwashed fabrics will be touching bare skin, and how many of us will pull a quilt up over our heads when we are cold? I would never buy a piece of clothing from anywhere, including retail shops and especially thrift stores and wear it before I put it next to my skin! Why would a quilt be any different?
I am not a germaphobe but I do know that there is some nasty stuff out there and I would want to take any precaution I could to prevent any problems.

Tashana 03-07-2013 09:34 AM

I do not prewash fabric unless I have to but I do wash my quilts after they are finished. This may change my mind. Mice and bed bugs. Yikes!

omaluvs2quilt 03-07-2013 11:09 AM

I find that pre-washing solves so many problems! Especially when the backing shrinks more than 10", yikes...I am SO glad I pre-washed that piece, could have caused major issues if I hadn't.