Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique' question, and lessons learned... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-lessons-learned-t204893.html)

LLWinston44 11-02-2012 07:53 AM

Applique' question, and lessons learned...

Ok, first the question. Doing machine blanket stitch on raw edge... do I get all the different colored threads to match the colors on the applique? Or just use a neutral?

Things I learned for appliqué - hate Misty Mate, much more prefer the stuff already ON the paper! Don't use the iron on fabric with the Misty Mate or it will get on (and RUIN) the iron. Also don't use it on the ironing board or it will get on (and RUIN) the pad! Put the preferred Steam a seam on the WRONG side of the fabric and PRESS the fabric on the other fabric, don't swipe, or it will roll. Use pencil, not ink or the ink will disappear off the parchment paper, and tape doesn't hold the to it either. Next is machine blanket stitch. Pray for me. Lol

DogHouseMom 11-02-2012 07:55 AM

I've never done blanket stitch by machine, only by hand after I've machined down the raw edge piece with clear poly thread. In that respect it was easy for me to switch thread colors to match if I wanted to.

Scissor Queen 11-02-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 (Post 5629669)
Ok, first the question. Doing machine blanket stitch on raw edge... do I get all the different colored threads to match the colors on the applique? Or just use a neutral?

Things I learned for appliqué - hate Misty Mate, much more prefer the stuff already ON the paper! Don't use the iron on fabric with the Misty Mate or it will get on (and RUIN) the iron. Also don't use it on the ironing board or it will get on (and RUIN) the pad! Put the preferred Steam a seam on the WRONG side of the fabric and PRESS the fabric on the other fabric, don't swipe, or it will roll. Use pencil, not ink or the ink will disappear off the parchment paper, and tape doesn't hold the to it either. Next is machine blanket stitch. Pray for me. Lol

I've done blanket stitch where I used black for the whole project and I've done it where I used matching or as close to matching as I can get. If you use black it becomes an added design element. If you use matching you don't notice it much. It's your creative decision.

The iron isn't ruined, it can be cleaned.

Knitette 11-02-2012 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I switched from zig-zag (see my avatar for 1st appliqué) to blanket stitch which I much prefer. I use a polyester or rayon the same colour as the appliqué. On the quilt below (2nd applique project) I used one pink, two greens, a brown, a red and a couple of orange/yellows.
Happy blanketing!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]373902[/ATTACH]
(I put this picture on another post, but don't know how to do a link - sorry!)

Kathy Osterby 11-02-2012 08:35 AM

I love using machine blanket stitch. I usually use black thread for mine as I like the extra design factor.It's easier than having to change colors for all the small pieces especially on Sunbonnet quilts. I have also used the black on hand blanket stitched quilts. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful.

LLWinston44 11-02-2012 09:15 AM

I think I'll try a practice run with black then, on my practice applique piece. How do you clean the iron?

LLWinston44 11-02-2012 09:16 AM

WOW that's super pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great work! A LOT of work!

Scissor Queen 11-02-2012 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 (Post 5629838)
I think I'll try a practice run with black then, on my practice applique piece. How do you clean the iron?

Don't forget to try different stitch lengths to see which looks best for your project! You can adjust how long the stitch is going over the edge and how far apart the sideways stitches are. I just used hot iron cleaner I found in the iron aisle at Wal-Mart.

LLWinston44 11-02-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5629851)
Don't forget to try different stitch lengths to see which looks best for your project! You can adjust how long the stitch is going over the edge and how far apart the sideways stitches are. I just used hot iron cleaner I found in the iron aisle at Wal-Mart.

Ok Ill check for it! I was looking at some of the pieces... They totally vary, some being large, some being tiny. Do i adjust for each piece or just go with the smallest and make it uniform?? Its a shield.

QuiltnNan 11-02-2012 10:00 AM

i've used all black and also all beige. i do like the beige the best.