Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique' question, and lessons learned... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-lessons-learned-t204893.html)

Prism99 11-02-2012 10:13 AM

I think you mean Misty Fuse? You can add paper to Misty Fuse. Iron it between two sheets of parchment paper, then peel off one of the sheets. Voila!

gramajo 11-02-2012 10:26 AM

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser takes fusible gunk off irons. Ask me how I know. :eek:

justflyingin 11-02-2012 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 5629732)
I switched from zig-zag (see my avatar for 1st appliqué) to blanket stitch which I much prefer. I use a polyester or rayon the same colour as the appliqué. On the quilt below (2nd applique project) I used one pink, two greens, a brown, a red and a couple of orange/yellows.
Happy blanketing!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]373902[/ATTACH]

(I put this picture on another post, but don't know how to do a link - sorry!)

Can't believe you chose such an enormous project for your second ever applique project! (It's amazing!)

I do believe that the QB is full of over-achievers!

Thanks for the hint. I just did some applique tonight and switched to a blanket stitch! Thanks for the advice.

Knitette 11-02-2012 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin (Post 5630198)
Can't believe you chose such an enormous project for your second ever applique project! (It's amazing!)

I do believe that the QB is full of over-achievers!

Thanks for the hint. I just did some applique tonight and switched to a blanket stitch! Thanks for the advice.

I loved every minute of it! I find the whole process extremely relaxing. I can't wait to start my next one. Points however are a different story.......

alisonquilts 11-02-2012 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 5630225)
... Points however are a different story.......

Oh ain't that the truth!

I do needle turn applique, and find it tremendously relaxing...and I wrestle with points every time!

Alison

jcrow 11-02-2012 04:52 PM

I was going to say that you use parchment paper with Mystyfuse because it doesn't come with paper. You have to put paper on one side. I read the directions online about it because I was confused when it arrived and saw that it was just fusible material. I knew I couldn't use it like that. I like the Steam a Seam Lite 2 best anyway, too.

franc36 11-02-2012 04:59 PM

I love using the blanket stitch for machine appliqué. On the quilt I am starting this month, I will match the thread with the fabric. I know this will take a long time; but I think the effort will be worth it on this particular quilt.

LLWinston44 11-02-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 5629919)
I think you mean Misty Fuse? You can add paper to Misty Fuse. Iron it between two sheets of parchment paper, then peel off one of the sheets. Voila!

Haha, yeah Misty Fuse. My bad. Lol. I did that though!! Went through all the darn tedious tracing only when I separated the papers, the mf stuc to BOTH pieces!!

LLWinston44 11-02-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 5629952)
Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser takes fusible gunk off irons. Ask me how I know. :eek:

Lol!! Ill totally try that!! I love those things!!

MimiBug123 11-02-2012 07:15 PM

I like to do mine using all black. I don't change the stitch length or width for each piece. I just choose one that I think looks good with whatever I'm working on and go for it. Isn't it fun getting what you want to do for your own creative processes?