Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique' question, and lessons learned... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-lessons-learned-t204893.html)

quiltmom04 11-04-2012 09:09 AM

You do whatever you want. I think sometimes using a black thread makes it look more,'primitive' but that would depend on the design. I generally use a thread that coordinates rather than matches perfectly, because if I am going to go to the trouble of doing a decorative stitch, I want it to show up - even a little!

leighway 11-04-2012 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 5630225)
I loved every minute of it! I find the whole process extremely relaxing. I can't wait to start my next one. Points however are a different story.......

knitette- Did you turn the edges on the applique or leave them raw and to the blanket stitch over them? I haven't fooled with applique since a class with Nancy Pearson in the late '80s and I'd like to try some. however, I have a friend who uses the steam a seam method with raw edges and I"m not sure I'm sold on that for non-wall hanging quilts. What are your thoughts?

sniktasemaj 11-04-2012 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 5629732)
I switched from zig-zag (see my avatar for 1st appliqué) to blanket stitch which I much prefer. I use a polyester or rayon the same colour as the appliqué. On the quilt below (2nd applique project) I used one pink, two greens, a brown, a red and a couple of orange/yellows.
Happy blanketing!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]373902[/ATTACH]
(I put this picture on another post, but don't know how to do a link - sorry!)

What a beautiful quilt!

sewnut 11-04-2012 12:46 PM

It depends on the result that I desire whether I want it to blend with the applique or present more pow to the design. i've done it both ways, I prefer softer dark browns tho.

My time 11-04-2012 05:34 PM

Your doing great!

irishrose 11-04-2012 06:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I only use matching thread, but I have no trouble mixing satin stitch and blanket stitch in the same quilt. This quilt has both. [ATTACH=CONFIG]374425[/ATTACH] I'm waiting to see how my daughter's blanket stitched flowers hold up in the laundry. I know the satin stitch wears like iron.

TanyaL 11-04-2012 08:12 PM

Another option is your fancy stitches in contrasting colors for a design effect. Sometimes two or three different stitches along side each other will give flowers a whole new dimension- also leaves. Try it for the texture on tree bark, scales on dragons or fish, etc.

SandScraps 11-04-2012 11:24 PM

I totally love doing the blanket stitching using a variegated thread.

QuilterMomOf3 11-05-2012 02:13 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 (Post 5629669)
Ok, first the question. Doing machine blanket stitch on raw edge... do I get all the different colored threads to match the colors on the applique? Or just use a neutral?

Things I learned for appliqué - hate Misty Mate, much more prefer the stuff already ON the paper! Don't use the iron on fabric with the Misty Mate or it will get on (and RUIN) the iron. Also don't use it on the ironing board or it will get on (and RUIN) the pad! Put the preferred Steam a seam on the WRONG side of the fabric and PRESS the fabric on the other fabric, don't swipe, or it will roll. Use pencil, not ink or the ink will disappear off the parchment paper, and tape doesn't hold the to it either. Next is machine blanket stitch. Pray for me. Lol

For applique, I use Heat n Bond Lite. I buy it @ WalMart in the PURPLE package... Apparently there is also a similar product out there called WonderUnder.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374459[/ATTACH]Heat N Bond Lite
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374460[/ATTACH]SEWABLE(hence the pic of the sewing machine)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374461[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]374462[/ATTACH] No pinning needed!!

LLWinston44 11-05-2012 11:13 PM

Is heat bond similar to steam a aeam?