Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Applique' question, and lessons learned...

Applique' question, and lessons learned...

Ok, first the question. Doing machine blanket stitch on raw edge... do I get all the different colored threads to match the colors on the applique? Or just use a neutral?

Things I learned for appliqué - hate Misty Mate, much more prefer the stuff already ON the paper! Don't use the iron on fabric with the Misty Mate or it will get on (and RUIN) the iron. Also don't use it on the ironing board or it will get on (and RUIN) the pad! Put the preferred Steam a seam on the WRONG side of the fabric and PRESS the fabric on the other fabric, don't swipe, or it will roll. Use pencil, not ink or the ink will disappear off the parchment paper, and tape doesn't hold the to it either. Next is machine blanket stitch. Pray for me. Lol
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

I've never done blanket stitch by machine, only by hand after I've machined down the raw edge piece with clear poly thread. In that respect it was easy for me to switch thread colors to match if I wanted to.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
    Ok, first the question. Doing machine blanket stitch on raw edge... do I get all the different colored threads to match the colors on the applique? Or just use a neutral?

Things I learned for appliqué - hate Misty Mate, much more prefer the stuff already ON the paper! Don't use the iron on fabric with the Misty Mate or it will get on (and RUIN) the iron. Also don't use it on the ironing board or it will get on (and RUIN) the pad! Put the preferred Steam a seam on the WRONG side of the fabric and PRESS the fabric on the other fabric, don't swipe, or it will roll. Use pencil, not ink or the ink will disappear off the parchment paper, and tape doesn't hold the to it either. Next is machine blanket stitch. Pray for me. Lol
    I've done blanket stitch where I used black for the whole project and I've done it where I used matching or as close to matching as I can get. If you use black it becomes an added design element. If you use matching you don't notice it much. It's your creative decision.

The iron isn't ruined, it can be cleaned.

I switched from zig-zag (see my avatar for 1st appliqué) to blanket stitch which I much prefer. I use a polyester or rayon the same colour as the appliqué. On the quilt below (2nd applique project) I used one pink, two greens, a brown, a red and a couple of orange/yellows.
    Happy blanketing!
    Name:  IMG_0400.JPG
Views: 2133
Size:  1.54 MB
    (I put this picture on another post, but don't know how to do a link - sorry!)
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

I love using machine blanket stitch. I usually use black thread for mine as I like the extra design factor.It's easier than having to change colors for all the small pieces especially on Sunbonnet quilts. I have also used the black on hand blanket stitched quilts. Your quilt is absolutely beautiful.
    Kathy Osterby

I think I'll try a practice run with black then, on my practice applique piece. How do you clean the iron?
    Kim

Wife to the love of my life. Mom to a Marine, a college student, an 12 year old 'surprise blessing', two Bichon Maltese brothers, and 3 kitties.

WOW that's super pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great work! A LOT of work!
    Kim

I think I'll try a practice run with black then, on my practice applique piece. How do you clean the iron?

Don't forget to try different stitch lengths to see which looks best for your project! You can adjust how long the stitch is going over the edge and how far apart the sideways stitches are. I just used hot iron cleaner I found in the iron aisle at Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Don't forget to try different stitch lengths to see which looks best for your project! You can adjust how long the stitch is going over the edge and how far apart the sideways stitches are. I just used hot iron cleaner I found in the iron aisle at Wal-Mart.
    Ok Ill check for it! I was looking at some of the pieces... They totally vary, some being large, some being tiny. Do i adjust for each piece or just go with the smallest and make it uniform?? Its a shield.
    Kim

Blog Entries
    i've used all black and also all beige. i do like the beige the best.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I think you mean Misty Fuse? You can add paper to Misty Fuse. Iron it between two sheets of parchment paper, then peel off one of the sheets. Voila!

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser takes fusible gunk off irons. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    I switched from zig-zag (see my avatar for 1st appliqué) to blanket stitch which I much prefer. I use a polyester or rayon the same colour as the appliqué. On the quilt below (2nd applique project) I used one pink, two greens, a brown, a red and a couple of orange/yellows.
    Happy blanketing!
    Name:  IMG_0400.JPG
Views: 2133
Size:  1.54 MB

(I put this picture on another post, but don't know how to do a link - sorry!)
    Can't believe you chose such an enormous project for your second ever applique project! (It's amazing!)

I do believe that the QB is full of over-achievers!

Thanks for the hint. I just did some applique tonight and switched to a blanket stitch! Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Can't believe you chose such an enormous project for your second ever applique project! (It's amazing!)

I do believe that the QB is full of over-achievers!

Thanks for the hint. I just did some applique tonight and switched to a blanket stitch! Thanks for the advice.
    I loved every minute of it! I find the whole process extremely relaxing. I can't wait to start my next one. Points however are a different story.......
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    ... Points however are a different story.......
    Oh ain't that the truth!

I do needle turn applique, and find it tremendously relaxing...and I wrestle with points every time!

Alison

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I was going to say that you use parchment paper with Mystyfuse because it doesn't come with paper. You have to put paper on one side. I read the directions online about it because I was confused when it arrived and saw that it was just fusible material. I knew I couldn't use it like that. I like the Steam a Seam Lite 2 best anyway, too.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I love using the blanket stitch for machine appliqué. On the quilt I am starting this month, I will match the thread with the fabric. I know this will take a long time; but I think the effort will be worth it on this particular quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I think you mean Misty Fuse? You can add paper to Misty Fuse. Iron it between two sheets of parchment paper, then peel off one of the sheets. Voila!
    Haha, yeah Misty Fuse. My bad. Lol. I did that though!! Went through all the darn tedious tracing only when I separated the papers, the mf stuc to BOTH pieces!!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser takes fusible gunk off irons. Ask me how I know.
    Lol!! Ill totally try that!! I love those things!!
    Kim

I like to do mine using all black. I don't change the stitch length or width for each piece. I just choose one that I think looks good with whatever I'm working on and go for it. Isn't it fun getting what you want to do for your own creative processes?

Blog Entries
    Haha, yeah Misty Fuse. My bad. Lol. I did that though!! Went through all the darn tedious tracing only when I separated the papers, the mf stuc to BOTH pieces!!
    Oh, my. You have to remove the first paper while it's still warm. The other side comes off after you fuse to fabric, again while the Misty Fuse is still warm.

I'm fairly new to quilting, but I've done a few applique projects. Here are some of my thoughts as I've learned so far:
    My machine has a blanket stitch and an applique stitch. The applique stitch looks similar to blanket, but the result is a little better looking. The downside is that it's more limited on stitch width and length compared to the blanket stitch.
    I do vary my width & length based on the size of the applique piece.
    Also, I change my thread color to match or coordinate with the applique piece. I've also used varigated thread on applique with good results. Depending on the piece I like using a shiny rayon, or else I use a standard poly.
    Someday I'd like to learn needle turn, but for now I'm enjoying the heck out of machine applique...

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Oh, my. You have to remove the first paper while it's still warm. The other side comes off after you fuse to fabric, again while the Misty Fuse is still warm.
    Seriously?! Oooohhhh!!!! I had looked up a tutorial on you tube on how to use it and the said to let it cool! Lol! Ok, im going to try it just for the sake of trying it to see if that works for me!
    Kim

Batapli how do you know the difference from the stitches on the machine??
    Kim

I do switch out some of the colors, but there are times when I will use a different color thread than the applique piece. I learned from longarming that thread changes color (just like fabric), depending on what you put it with. i.e. sometimes red and brown interchange well..... I lay the thread across the applique piece and see if it is the look I am going for.

Regarding stitch: sometimes I zig-zag (my least favorite). Sometimes I blanket stitch. Sometimes I use the blind hem stitch. Sometimes...I even do it by HAND! LOL Love doing hand work!
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast