Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Applique' question, and lessons learned... >

Applique' question, and lessons learned...

Applique' question, and lessons learned...

Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
Haha, yeah Misty Fuse. My bad. Lol. I did that though!! Went through all the darn tedious tracing only when I separated the papers, the mf stuc to BOTH pieces!!
Oh, my. You have to remove the first paper while it's still warm. The other side comes off after you fuse to fabric, again while the Misty Fuse is still warm.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:08 PM

I'm fairly new to quilting, but I've done a few applique projects. Here are some of my thoughts as I've learned so far:
My machine has a blanket stitch and an applique stitch. The applique stitch looks similar to blanket, but the result is a little better looking. The downside is that it's more limited on stitch width and length compared to the blanket stitch.
I do vary my width & length based on the size of the applique piece.
Also, I change my thread color to match or coordinate with the applique piece. I've also used varigated thread on applique with good results. Depending on the piece I like using a shiny rayon, or else I use a standard poly.
Someday I'd like to learn needle turn, but for now I'm enjoying the heck out of machine applique...
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Oh, my. You have to remove the first paper while it's still warm. The other side comes off after you fuse to fabric, again while the Misty Fuse is still warm.
Seriously?! Oooohhhh!!!! I had looked up a tutorial on you tube on how to use it and the said to let it cool! Lol! Ok, im going to try it just for the sake of trying it to see if that works for me!
Old 11-03-2012, 06:34 AM

Batapli how do you know the difference from the stitches on the machine??
Old 11-03-2012, 07:46 AM

I do switch out some of the colors, but there are times when I will use a different color thread than the applique piece. I learned from longarming that thread changes color (just like fabric), depending on what you put it with. i.e. sometimes red and brown interchange well..... I lay the thread across the applique piece and see if it is the look I am going for.

Regarding stitch: sometimes I zig-zag (my least favorite). Sometimes I blanket stitch. Sometimes I use the blind hem stitch. Sometimes...I even do it by HAND! LOL Love doing hand work!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 AM

Using a contrasting thread is nice when you are looking for a primative style quilt. I like it.
Using a matching thread is nice when you don't want the stitches to show (beautiful quilt kintteck)
Using monofilament thread (clear plastic) is something I'm only fond of if its not going to be a bed peice or a wall piece (a purse maybe) For me I can see the thread shine (sulky's monofilament has a bit of a duller shine and preferrable) If your pieices are dark there is black monofilament to use.
I prefer the applique stitch for most of my applique. I have however been known to use free motion zigzag
Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 AM

I don't know how this works, but someone on here a while back had written a tip about using a piece of parchment for cooking under your work and another piece on top of the fabric to be appliqued when using stitch wichery or other fusible to applique. It sounded like a great idea. That way it doesn't ruin your pad and would be hard pressed to roll on you as you glide over it with the iron.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
Batapli how do you know the difference from the stitches on the machine??
On the machine, it has the stitch selections and the applique stitch goes to the left and the blanket stitch goes to the right. There is a little more spacing on the applique stitch, and it looks a little bigger. I looked them up in the machine manual and it specified them as applique / blanket. I tried them both and I like the look of the applique stitch better, but the stitch width/length is more limited so for small pieces it doesn't work as well. I just have a cheapy Brother that I bought from Costco a few years ago to see if I would like sewing.
That probably more than answers your question. lol
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 AM

I bet I have that, I think I tried it but it was soooo small. Im going to pull out my manual. Lol, when all else fails pull out the manual right!? Lol!!

Originally Posted by Bataplai View Post
On the machine, it has the stitch selections and the applique stitch goes to the left and the blanket stitch goes to the right. There is a little more spacing on the applique stitch, and it looks a little bigger. I looked them up in the machine manual and it specified them as applique / blanket. I tried them both and I like the look of the applique stitch better, but the stitch width/length is more limited so for small pieces it doesn't work as well. I just have a cheapy Brother that I bought from Costco a few years ago to see if I would like sewing.
That probably more than answers your question. lol
Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 AM

In the old days, they used black to blanket stitch applique. But it's your quilt. You can use whatever you like; i.e. matching to applique piece or all one color whether it be white, black, red or whatever!