Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can this be made into a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/can-made-into-quilt-t209573.html)

jcrow 12-29-2012 05:40 PM

I think it will be too overwhelming for me and my abilities. If I had one of those programs to make quilts, I might be able to somehow come up with something, but I don't think I can do much but applique. I might do a wall hanging. Thanks for the ideas. Never thought of applique or wall hanging until you all mentioned it. That is definitely do-able...harder than h**l, but do-able. He's going thru a really hard time right now, really hard, and this picture and the thought of a quilt was the only thing that cheered him up. He's 35 and I would never let him near my sewing machine. He does all my computer stuff for me. He's always "hooking us up" with great things. I'd like to put that smile back on his face.

gramajo 12-29-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by starshine (Post 5748301)
What about making a copy, cut it into squares which you then print a color enlargement of each square. Then color print enlarged squares on fabric, and sew the fabric squares together.

This would work & certainly would be easier than applique.

DogHouseMom 12-29-2012 05:55 PM

Well gosh ... I have no flipping idea if I could make that cause it won't stop spinning long enough to get a good look at it.

mighty 12-29-2012 07:30 PM

Haven't a clue how to do it but it would be so cool!!!!!

jcwholland 12-30-2012 04:04 AM

Because I have worked in graphics, my first thought was 1. find a copy store that has the big machines. 2. photo copy your picture as big as they can copy it and then cut and number the sections and re-enlarge them to either make a block or a bigger section. IN doing so you can also get the right sized for cutting either applique pattern or it will give you a clearer vision to make the pattern for the shape. Good luck. I really like that. Jacque

BrendaK 12-30-2012 04:23 AM

Am I the only one that sees the picture move? You have more guts than I do to try this. Good luck. BrendaK

mawluv 12-30-2012 04:26 AM

It would make a cool Bargello design!

suziehammond 12-30-2012 04:38 AM

One point you might want to take into serious consideration. You do all this massive work and then throw it on the bed to discover that all that cool graphic motion is utterly lost! The way you need to view this is as a piece of wall art that hangs so you can stand back and view the apparent movement straight on. Almost all that motion is obliterated when you view it from above and at an angle. The contours of the bed also make sure your work on this one is lost in the ultimate use . Other quilts are cool, funky and 70's like without as much work-- (especially if that work is then lost on a bed)
If you want a big wall hanging that is another story. Yards of wonder-under and the suggestions given by others would accomplish it.

giquilt 12-30-2012 04:54 AM

You might be sane, but blind. If you do it, post with instructions. You will be on quilt circuit.

DOTTYMO 12-30-2012 05:03 AM

It is fantastic. I would go and get it enlarged to a quilt centre size first and see if the illusion still looks the same.
Then on a piece of blue fabric t he size of enlargement I would transfer / mark all the orange discs. Using reverse applique cut out t he marks slightly smaller stitch down . The other line could be embroidery or similar . Lot of hand work. Hen put in a border of you choice.orange behind can be a whole piece of clothe just spray basted on the back of blue. The quilting cous work around ovals . It is something I would have a go at.
What is the shape called.?