Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ccleaner....not free for me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ccleaner-not-free-me-t104969.html)

BJ SewKkrazzy 03-04-2011 01:03 PM

We started talking about this under the you tube line...so I went to try the ccleaner site...downloaded the Free program. Installed and ran...found 2900 errors to be cleaned...except now you need a registration code number, which you have to purchase...so what's free about this???? Can some one help me?
BJ

cctx. 03-04-2011 01:10 PM

It's a scam......honestly it is.
Bait scam more like it.

JenBlossom 03-04-2011 01:13 PM

I agree - sounds like a scam. My in-laws had something registered with one just like this, and it ended up charging them $70 per month for a few months before they realized this was completely unreasonable!

miss_ticky2 03-04-2011 01:15 PM

I've used Ccleaner often, been using it for a few years but never had to buy it. (must admit, I haven't used it in a while now). But, I've only ever used the 'cleaner' section, and only on the windows tab, not the applications tab and I haven't used the registry section at all. I have a paid program that I used for registry clean, that was highly recommended by a good IT forum. It hasn't caused any problems. Ccleaner was also recommended to me by the same forum but only in the way I've described.

DogHouseMom 03-04-2011 01:18 PM

I wasn't following the other thread, but I'm guessing your talking about either virus' or spyware. If virus, there are no "free" options that I know about. Trust in only the known virus software vendors - McAfee, Norton, etc.

If spyware, there are a few free options. One is called "Spybot". I've used it for years. I know of a few corporations that use it and corporations as a general rules of thumb are VERY leary of ALL downloadable software.

Sue

BJ SewKkrazzy 03-04-2011 01:25 PM

I tried spybot years ago and had the same problem. ccleaner was mentioned as a cleaner...but to do it effectively you have to purchase.
But I use Avast as a virus protector...it is Free on the net, and updated daily...have been using it for a couple three years now...

nativetexan 03-04-2011 01:27 PM

I use Webroot and wont' use Norton again, a download of it caused my computer to crash. a year later they charged my credit card. i did get them to remove it though.
see if you can email anyone at that free site and ask them about the fee charge.

grann of 6 03-04-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by BJ SewKkrazzy
I tried spybot years ago and had the same problem. ccleaner was mentioned as a cleaner...but to do it effectively you have to purchase.
But I use Avast as a virus protector...it is Free on the net, and updated daily...have been using it for a couple three years now...

My internet provider (Comcast) has all that included no extra charge. My computer gets cleaned while I am sleeping every night and I get the report in the morning.

Joeysnana 03-04-2011 01:28 PM

I too use the free program Avast and like it. The computer tech who sold me my laptop suggested it.

miss_ticky2 03-04-2011 01:31 PM

Ccleaner isn't an antivirus or antispyware. The part that I use, it helps clean out your temp internet files and other stuff that accumulates from web browsing.

The registry side cleans out left over files from when programs are installed or removed. Unless you know what you are doing with registry cleaners, best to leave that side alone as you can have things suddenly not working. That's why I use another trusted program and always have a restore point created first.