Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: ccleaner....not free for me!

Blog Entries
    We started talking about this under the you tube line...so I went to try the ccleaner site...downloaded the Free program. Installed and ran...found 2900 errors to be cleaned...except now you need a registration code number, which you have to purchase...so what's free about this???? Can some one help me?
    BJ

Blog Entries
    It's a scam......honestly it is.
    Bait scam more like it.

I agree - sounds like a scam. My in-laws had something registered with one just like this, and it ended up charging them $70 per month for a few months before they realized this was completely unreasonable!

I've used Ccleaner often, been using it for a few years but never had to buy it. (must admit, I haven't used it in a while now). But, I've only ever used the 'cleaner' section, and only on the windows tab, not the applications tab and I haven't used the registry section at all. I have a paid program that I used for registry clean, that was highly recommended by a good IT forum. It hasn't caused any problems. Ccleaner was also recommended to me by the same forum but only in the way I've described.

I wasn't following the other thread, but I'm guessing your talking about either virus' or spyware. If virus, there are no "free" options that I know about. Trust in only the known virus software vendors - McAfee, Norton, etc.

If spyware, there are a few free options. One is called "Spybot". I've used it for years. I know of a few corporations that use it and corporations as a general rules of thumb are VERY leary of ALL downloadable software.

Sue

Blog Entries
    I tried spybot years ago and had the same problem. ccleaner was mentioned as a cleaner...but to do it effectively you have to purchase.
    But I use Avast as a virus protector...it is Free on the net, and updated daily...have been using it for a couple three years now...

Blog Entries
    I use Webroot and wont' use Norton again, a download of it caused my computer to crash. a year later they charged my credit card. i did get them to remove it though.
    see if you can email anyone at that free site and ask them about the fee charge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ SewKkrazzy
    I tried spybot years ago and had the same problem. ccleaner was mentioned as a cleaner...but to do it effectively you have to purchase.
    But I use Avast as a virus protector...it is Free on the net, and updated daily...have been using it for a couple three years now...
    My internet provider (Comcast) has all that included no extra charge. My computer gets cleaned while I am sleeping every night and I get the report in the morning.

Blog Entries
    I too use the free program Avast and like it. The computer tech who sold me my laptop suggested it.

Ccleaner isn't an antivirus or antispyware. The part that I use, it helps clean out your temp internet files and other stuff that accumulates from web browsing.

The registry side cleans out left over files from when programs are installed or removed. Unless you know what you are doing with registry cleaners, best to leave that side alone as you can have things suddenly not working. That's why I use another trusted program and always have a restore point created first.

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I wasn't following the other thread, but I'm guessing your talking about either virus' or spyware. If virus, there are no "free" options that I know about. Trust in only the known virus software vendors - McAfee, Norton, etc.

If spyware, there are a few free options. One is called "Spybot". I've used it for years. I know of a few corporations that use it and corporations as a general rules of thumb are VERY leary of ALL downloadable software.

Sue
    I also use AVAST anti-virus home version. It is free. Have used it for about 5 years with NO problems. I got it because the online download of one of the extremely well known virus protection providers didn't work - and, yes, I did pay for it.

Sue
    AVG is a very good, free anti virus software. I like it much better than either McAfee or Norton.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Sue
    AVG is a very good, free anti virus software. I like it much better than either McAfee or Norton.
    I have bee using AVG free for many years on several PCs and never had a problem.

Malwarebytes is also an excellent tool to have on every one of your PCs (also free). Download it BEFORE you need it, you'll be happier.

Blog Entries
    This is the sight we use to download free. Sorry if anyone has been having issues. You do not need to register.

Save the file. Then install it.

/

This is for ccleaner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    Ccleaner isn't an antivirus or antispyware. The part that I use, it helps clean out your temp internet files and other stuff that accumulates from web browsing.

The registry side cleans out left over files from when programs are installed or removed. Unless you know what you are doing with registry cleaners, best to leave that side alone as you can have things suddenly not working. That's why I use another trusted program and always have a restore point created first.
    I agree. My son is a computer techie/geek. He reformats, cleans out peoples problems on a regular basis. People think they have issues with a lemon of a computer after awhile, when they really need to just keep it clean. He suggests reformatting once a year. It will run as if it just came out of the box from the store.

Also, if you use Kaspersky, and it is a good one, please be aware your computer may slow down a tiny bit, but it is just that it is checking everything. We used to have viruses all the time, havent had any in almost 3 years since we started it.

Blog Entries
    I have this installed and love it.
    I typed "free download for ccleaner" into google.

use the green button

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

Blog Entries
    Microsoft has a program called PC Cleaner and it is absolutely free. It evens cleans things that the standard cleaner misses. We also use Norton for antivirus...with all the surfing we do to various quilt sites, Shophops, and such, one can never be to careful.

Blog Entries
    ITune Utilities is the best. You can use the
    Full program for 30 days then decide to buy it. That's how sure
    the program is that it works. Know if reformat you lose everything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    ITune Utilities is the best. You can use the
    Full program for 30 days then decide to buy it. That's how sure
    the program is that it works. Know if reformat you lose everything.
    You always back up to external hard drive any files you want to keep, especially pictures. You can also (and should) back up to disk things you don't want to lose. You shouldn't reformat unless you know what you are doing. Just passing along info from someone who knows-
    Lots of good products out there, we have to find what works for each of us.

Blog Entries
    Here is a solution to those having issues downloading ccleaner. Sometimes that box to save to file shows up, some computers it doesn't. So try this: Dont press the download button shown on the screen. It is already downloading. There is a sentence that begins Thank you your download will start automatically. Then a sentence under it that is underlined, and says If not click this link. Click it and the box will open. Save. then install.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_cc...4a122bf7000d6/

Those are scams. I ended up having to take my computer in for someone to repair it. I couldn't do anything with it. He said it was a costly mistake that I did this.

Blog Entries
    The best thing I pay a fee for is Carbonite. It saves every picture, every file, safely online. It backs up automatically, I don't have to do it. If my computer crashes or I get a new one it takes one click and every thing is right back on the computer. It saved hundreds of pictures I had and no way to get back and this was while using the free trial. My computer crashed and I would have lost them all plus all my quilting patterns I had on file if I hadn't decided to try it. I will gladly pay the $50 a year fee. ITunes Utilites cost about $30 but it's a one time fee. It fixed all the broken stuff like the windows installer, load time for windows programs, and fast start and shut downs and removed all the junk files I didn't need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Sue
    That's what my switch was over a year ago.
    Last week I paid $70.00 to my IT technician because right after I made a huge purchase on Ebay (over $600.00) , I immediately received a nasty virus and it kept kicking me out, I could not surf, so I called my guy and he came and re-updated my AVG and removed all the spyware and Trojans that had attacked my PC.
    He mentioned that I report this malicious activity to Ebay, but I disregarded his concern.
    Meanwhile, I am more careful on Ebay and try not to spend too much time on there. The pirates are everywhere, especially when it comes to money.

Blog Entries
    Are there any good free anti virus programs for iMac?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2

True.
    I use it all the time. Never paid.
    Maybe it was the site you chose to download from?

I used this one: and it IS free
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

(download on right side next to green box)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast