Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ccleaner....not free for me!

I bought the 'pay monthly' McAfee from ATT in August. In three weeks so many virus' loaded, it crashed our computer beyond repair. Kaspersky is great.

I have used ccleaner for a few years now and never paid. It does a good job.

Blog Entries
    Google Spybot Search and Destroy. It is a free download.
    Brenda

Whats that old saying?
    If it sounds to good to be true, it is.
    Theres a lot of scams out there, seems to be more everyday.

They have a free version but my clean up program of choice these days is Registry Machanic by PC Tools.........it does cost something (not much) but has significantly increased the speed of my computer.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It is totally free, and supported by Microsoft. I've used it since it came out, and have never had a problem.

There is no such thing as "free". What a gimmick they have devised to get us to use their product. If it's free it'll cost you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I wasn't following the other thread, but I'm guessing your talking about either virus' or spyware. If virus, there are no "free" options that I know about. Trust in only the known virus software vendors - McAfee, Norton, etc.

If spyware, there are a few free options. One is called "Spybot". I've used it for years. I know of a few corporations that use it and corporations as a general rules of thumb are VERY leary of ALL downloadable software.

Sue
    AVG is a very good, free anti virus software. I like it much better than either McAfee or Norton.
    I have used AVG for about 10 years now and it is awesome. Kim Komando "the digital goddess" highly recommends AVG. Can't be beat for free. With that said I don't know of any cleaners that are free other than their download but to use it get your money out.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetp2dt
    This is the sight we use to download free. Sorry if anyone has been having issues. You do not need to register.

Save the file. Then install it.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_cc...4a122bf7000d6/

This is for ccleaner.
    This is what I was going to suggest. I have had C cleaner for a few years free from this site,and it works well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My computer tech uses c cleaner and Hippofile is a good download source.

Ccleaner is free but there is a paid version also. I've been using it for 5 years and just downloaded the latest upgrade about a week ago.

I have a free version since I've had my computer (quite a few years now); it periodically asks me if I want to upgrade to newer/better version and I tell it "no". I've had similar issues as you describe with other "free" downloads and, because they are more annoying than they are worth, I uninstall those ones.

I like the CCleaner because it is quick if it's done on a regular basis, but I don't NEED the CCleaner; I can clean my hard drive (and defragment) using the computer's built-in "Tools" options.

I have been working with computers for 30 years at work and now that I am retired I am on it more than when I worked. I was a data base administrator and a lot of virus protection programs are free with your internet connection web sight and they work nicely if you do not down load a lot of shareware or free programs.

I hate Norton as it slows your computer down to a craw when it runs and many have had computer crash problems with it.
    Cleaners are different they clean out registry files and some temp files They really are not as much help to computer response as they advertise and you can do the same thing with you window programs. I don't like them because they erase all the web sights you frequently use and you have to do a search to get back to them. Just remember the old saying if it says free their is a catch to it somewhere. JMHO

Thank you all for the information. It's been really helpful.

Just another sucker bait.

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    Are there any good free anti virus programs for iMac?
    If you use a Mac you likely will not get a virus and can get by without virus software. I have used Macs since 1985 (from their first shipment) and I have never had a virus. However, if you use the Internet a lot, it's better to be safe so I do have Norton installed. Check with apple.com to see what they recommend, or pick up something either at a local store or go to Symantec. If you get a subscription it will automatically load on your computer each month. But, let me repeat, I have never had a virus on a Mac in 26 years of using them. They are super computers!

I believe you downloaded the wrong program because it really is free, I use it and just downloaded the udpate when you go to download it you have to make sure you don't click on the one that is noticeable you have to go a little further down the page and find the one that says free download

You have to click on FREE VERSION I have it & it does a wonderful job IT IS NOT A SCAM.. jyou just have to read what you click on... tghere are a lot of free good cleaners they also all have ones that cost . the ones that cost has more to offer, but the free version is good as long as you keep your computer up to date

My nephew is a techie with his own business. On my husbands computer his Norton was expiring soon. Was going to be $73.00 to renew. My nephew told me not to renew but to use http://wwwmicrosoft.com/security_essentials/ it's free and he has used it forever and has never paid for an antivirus ever. I installed it in my DH computer and after running the scan it came up with 4 trojans that Norton's didn't find. When my computer expires from McAfee, I will uninstall McAffee and install the Microsoft security essentials.

He also had me download http://www.malwarebytes.org/ the free program. This one takes out a lot of adware/malware. You have to run it yourself, so once a week I do that. My computer works great. And it's several years old.

I've been using ccleaner for a few years; it has received many excellent reviews. I use the registry cleaner and the cleaner which cleans up all the junk left behind in temp space, internet explorer temp files,.... I used it for the first time when my husband's desktop for some reason showed no available disk space and was acting crazy. I thought I would have to reinstall. I was amazed when ccleaner made available gigabytes and solved the problem. (This is the only time I have had extreme results like this but I continue to use it because it seems to recover more space than the Windows tools.)
    CNET which I trust for reviews still lists it as free. http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/
    I don't want to try to download it again to check to see what the problem is. Some of the free programs have an updated version that you have to pay for. Could this be the case?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    My nephew is a techie with his own business. On my husbands computer his Norton was expiring soon. Was going to be $73.00 to renew. My nephew told me not to renew but to use http://wwwmicrosoft.com/security_essentials/ it's free and he has used it forever and has never paid for an antivirus ever.
    I was going to download Security essentials but there are two diff. files.
    One for ....amd64... and one for ..... x86..... But they don't say which one to use.
    How can I tell?

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    My nephew is a techie with his own business. On my husbands computer his Norton was expiring soon. Was going to be $73.00 to renew. My nephew told me not to renew but to use http://wwwmicrosoft.com/security_essentials/ it's free and he has used it forever and has never paid for an antivirus ever.
    I was going to download Security essentials but there are two diff. files.
    One for ....amd64... and one for ..... x86..... But they don't say which one to use.
    How can I tell?
    When I pull up the secutiryessentials page, I just clicked on the big sign that says download now. Off to the right there is a video to watch and that may help you with your computer. Sorry I'm not sure which one to use. I don't remember being asked that question when I downloaded.

What windows program are you using. My DH was XP, mine is Win 7 and you have to uninstall your old program first.

Blog Entries
    I have ccleaner-never had to pay for it. Those other sites that tell you all the problems you have, are scams. If you look closely, it will say FREE SCAN. Thats all it is . a scan and then you have to pay to get the program to take out the 1000's of problems it says you have,. stay away from them!!! you usually end up with more problems. I use AVG, best and no problems.

Blog Entries
    I use for virus protection Microsoft Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ it's really great and free...then I have 2 other programs (free) I use and they are great. These are reccommendations from my computer tech guy and he uses them all the time....

Malawarebytes:
    http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...tag=rb_content;main

hope these help you and anyone else

Superantispyware:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Please dont assume that we are "suckers" because we use C cleaner. It is an excellent program. There is a free version and a pay one. I use the free one,and have had it recommended by several techs.AVG is also in a free and pay version.I had the free one and it caught several major bugs that Norton missed. I also use the free version of Incredimail and have had it for 7 years without a problem. You just have to watch what you click and be knowledgable about it. Do some research before you call people suckers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast