Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: ccleaner....not free for me!

Blog Entries
    I'd not use it - I tried it and it totally messed up my computer to the point of not being able to get into any site - it removed all my cookies - now I'm battling with the cookies issue on every site I get into but at least I'm in! I need to take my computer in and get it fixed; I'm at the end of my rope to fix it myself; DON'T USE IT! It may have worked for some, but i'd say, You WERE Lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltcamp
    Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltcamp
    On this line -- can anyone tell my why my computer would suddenly tell me I don't have an audio program. I can't listen to any video at all now?? and yes my speakers are on.
    If you are sure that a virus has not interfered with your programs, just go into the control panel and turn your sound system on. The volume is controlled from the speaker icon in the task bar on your screen - click on it and you move the volume indicator with the cursor.
    I was able to turn on the sound system once before but now when I go to the control panel it says "No Audio Program Installed". It doesn't even give me a choice to turn it on. I'm thinking it's a virus at this point. And I do use AVG and Microsoft. Guess it's a trip to the Tech Doc for the Ol' Girl. Actually it must be an Ol' Guy -- sometimes hard to communicate with......LOL
    I have my task bar at the bottom of the screen. On the task bar there is a little symbol that looks like a speaker. (You might see a red "x" by it). Right click on that speaker. It will then give you a list of items. Click on "Playback Devices". You will then see a list of the audio playback devices on your computer. Click on the speaker you want to use. Then at the bottom of the box you will see "Set as default". Click on that and then okay. That should solve the problem. If it doesn't, repeat the task but choose a different speaker device. Test each speaker device till you find the one that works. Good luck!

Thanks Linda but there is no speaker on my task bar either.

Blog Entries
    I am a little torn writing this. And I appologize upfront if it sounds like I am venting. I love this board and feel really close to all of you, but I am sad when reading some of these posts that I replied to and feel a little guilty at the same time. I am sorry for any of you if you feel misled by any of us who suggested ccleaner. So, here goes. I also suggested ccleaner and sent messages and posted a link to ccleaner site that is free. No payment involved, no registry involved. This is not a scam, and it cleans more than your internet options tabs do. I would never have suggested anything that did not come from a very reliable source or recommendation. Period. Very sorry if any of you are having issues with it. When the screen comes up, there is a button on the top right side that says to download the latest version. Click it. Dont do anything again until a window pops up, let it download. If nothing happens, there is also a link above this download button (the one that asks for registry and payment-You don't need to press that big download button in front of you.) that says to click on it if the window doesn't open asking to save the file. Which is what you need to do first, then install and run it. (If you dont save it, you are only running it this one time. You need to save it to your computer. A ccleaner icon will come up on your desktop and can be used anytime. Computers and sites really do run faster and smoother when you clean out the gunk. And reformatting should be done if your computer is dragging and not working properly. Why buy a new one? Someone who knows what they are doing must do the reformatting. It is a process. Also, Windows Essentials does not prevent every virus from coming through. It is very good, but if you do a lot of computing and emailing and opening attachments (ouch!) another program may be needed. I used Essentials 2x-once before Kaspersky (you can use anything you want, don't take my word for it) and once after Kaspersky yr long membership ran out and before I could get to the store and purchase another disk(I always buy the disk, never download and pay online). Both times virus, trojans, etc. rampaged my computer when I opened up an email. Computer reformatted both times. Kaspersky blocks and keeps my computer safe. If you dont do updates on a continual basis, stuff happens. Everyone's computer is different. Ccleaner may be the same exact product your other suggestions are. Just a different name. But certainly not a scam. Happy computing to everyone! Today is a Good Day! Hugs to all! (I am a hugger, sorry if you aren't...lol)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There is a setting on it for you to have it save what cookies you want. I save ones I use all the time.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jad1044
    I'd not use it - I tried it and it totally messed up my computer to the point of not being able to get into any site - it removed all my cookies - now I'm battling with the cookies issue on every site I get into but at least I'm in! I need to take my computer in and get it fixed; I'm at the end of my rope to fix it myself; DON'T USE IT! It may have worked for some, but i'd say, You WERE Lucky!

IT works fine.The USER is the one that messes up because they dont read all the directions.

Getting your computer "fixed" will not fix your cookies problem. You can't just put a user name and password in and then forget it for life. If you can't remember them then write them down. Your computer needs all the cookies cleaned out every once in a while.

sweetp2dt .... There is NO need for you to feel sorry about anything. Looking at the postings it is very clear to me that many do not understand computers (that is why we have people who help us ... the same with quilting). Your heart was ABSOLUTELY in the right place and there was no deception on your part. Please don't take the postings personally. It is their misunderstanding, not yours. On the bright side, I learned much by others and their postings on the subject. So THANK YOU for your input

I have been using it successfully for quite a while now, at least a year, maybe more on two computers. If you click on the wrong thing on the download page, you may indeed download the wrong item but this is free and safe and does a great job.
    I agree with sweetp2dt 100%.
    I was not "lucky". This program does what it does well. The only thing I have to fix after I've cleaned my computer with it (which I do EVERY Sunday) is to re-enter the password on my homepage. I would have to do that even if I used the build in cleaner (and I do use that too about once a month.
    For those interested in learning more about how to take care of their computers, what programs are good, which are free, which are both, check out: http://www.komando.com/
    This is also a free site but you can pay for membership (I do not). I find it informative and safe. Just don't download a whole bunch of free things at once. Also note that some of the products she recommends are advertisers on her site but I think she's very upfront about that and tells you which are advertisers and gives other choices as well.

LOVE my CCleaner.com free clean-up program. My computer repair man suggested it and I find it very VALUABLE. Speeds up my computer too.

Blog Entries
    I love you guys....the information here has been wonderful...no need apologize for giving their two cents worth...we all benefit...I didn't know there were so many choices out there!
    I think I finally got ccleaner to work...Registry Mechanic was not working for me...it said I had 3000 errors, but had to register to get them out...so I deleted it from my program list, and tried ccleaner again...and since I had some cookies in the file, after I ran the program they weren't there...you can clean cookies yourself just by clicking on the start button, click on run, and type in cookies...then delete all the files...
    For antivirus, I use Avast Free home version; I also use Ad-Aware free to check for web sites trying to send me ads.
    thanks again ladies and gents, all info was appreciated!!!
    BJ

Blog Entries
    name calling

reckless assumptions and accusations.

6 pages of debate over a computer program.

this is a quilting board.

not a biker bar.
    not a techno-debate forum.
    not the OK Corral.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4