Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ccleaner....not free for me!

I concur!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riversong
    Please dont assume that we are "suckers" because we use C cleaner. It is an excellent program. There is a free version and a pay one. I use the free one,and have had it recommended by several techs.AVG is also in a free and pay version.I had the free one and it caught several major bugs that Norton missed. I also use the free version of Incredimail and have had it for 7 years without a problem. You just have to watch what you click and be knowledgable about it. Do some research before you call people suckers.
    Actually you just shouldn't call people names or denigrate their choices.

Blog Entries
    for Microsoft Essentials, most people won't be using the 64bit most are using 32bit..... then all you have to know is what windows you are using like XP or Windows 7.....the page I linked to in my pervious post will take you there directly and just click on download...

I have been using Avast for some time now and it seems to work well

On this line -- can anyone tell my why my computer would suddenly tell me I don't have an audio program. I can't listen to any video at all now?? and yes my speakers are on.

Blog Entries
    I use Avast antivirus, it's free and works well. I also use
    Malware, a free anti spy ware It works great. I just run it every so often to clean my computer, when it's running slow. The spyware really makes it run slow.

Blog Entries
    I just bought a new computer today...of course they asked if they could sell me an antivirus program and I said no, I'll just download a free one!! He nearly crumpled to the floor!!! He said don't you know you get more viruses from those dang programs than you are protected from?? So I bought one. Guess I'd rather be protected for sure, since I'd already had a serious attack and had to go have it cleaned off the old machine!! Cost me way more than the software I bought!!

I have used Ccleaner for years and have never paid. Maybe you clicked on something in error that requires payment. I'd try it again becaues it really does a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by juliea9967
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It is totally free, and supported by Microsoft. I've used it since it came out, and have never had a problem.
    Agree. This is free and great. I've been using it for over a year. I also use the free CCleaner (remember to also empty your "downloads" file if needed and to run the disk cleanup as you must compress files from time to time or your computer will run slowly. I also have superantispyware and malwarebyte's anti-malware installed. All four FREE programs keep my computers running without a problem.

Blog Entries
    Yes it is a scam.. Just run your virus scan...and let it do it's job!

Quote Originally Posted by btiny36
    I use for virus protection Microsoft Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ it's really great and free...then I have 2 other programs (free) I use and they are great. These are reccommendations from my computer tech guy and he uses them all the time....

Malawarebytes:
    http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...tag=rb_content;main

hope these help you and anyone else

Superantispyware:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/
    Somehow I missed you post! I use all of these too, on two computers without any problems. I can't believe I paid for years!

Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    Yes it is a scam.. Just run your virus scan...and let it do it's job!
    No it's not a scam. A virus program will not remove tracking cookies, spyware, adware or clean up your disk space.

You can do all of the things yourself with the tools that are already in your computer under accessories-system tools-disc clean up and defragmenter. All you have to do is set your machine to defragment on a regular basis, automatically, and do a disc clean up on a regular basis(or when you think of it.

Go to Microsoft and download Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltcamp
    On this line -- can anyone tell my why my computer would suddenly tell me I don't have an audio program. I can't listen to any video at all now?? and yes my speakers are on.
    If you are sure that a virus has not interfered with your programs, just go into the control panel and turn your sound system on. The volume is controlled from the speaker icon in the task bar on your screen - click on it and you move the volume indicator with the cursor.

Blog Entries
    There are severl antivirus fee options. I have AVG (free for home use pay for businesses) on PC and Avesta on my laptop. I also have CCleaner and also use Sybot. Do not buy antivirus save your money for material
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I wasn't following the other thread, but I'm guessing your talking about either virus' or spyware. If virus, there are no "free" options that I know about. Trust in only the known virus software vendors - McAfee, Norton, etc.

If spyware, there are a few free options. One is called "Spybot". I've used it for years. I know of a few corporations that use it and corporations as a general rules of thumb are VERY leary of ALL downloadable software.

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    You can do all of the things yourself with the tools that are already in your computer under accessories-system tools-disc clean up and defragmenter. All you have to do is set your machine to defragment on a regular basis, automatically, and do a disc clean up on a regular basis(or when you think of it.
    Just doing this won't remove your prefetch data. This can be done by hand but isn't done automatically with the given programs.

Janice you are correct. Registry cleaners are for trained people who know what they are deleting. I tried that too. AVG free version has been great for us, but my IT just recommended the Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and has the virus protection and firewall you need. I still think I liked the AVG better as far as the menu goes.

You can also clean your temp files in your browser. Go tools and click on browsing history. It will let you choose the temp files to delete. Very easy.

My PC has a cleaner built in. Sounds like a scam to me too.Sorry this happened to you.

Blog Entries
    if you want a good totally free virus program go to cnet.com and down load AVGFREE. please don't even open the pop up antivirus programs. many have a virus built in to infect your computer and then try to sell you their program. i get tons of emails from these companys too. this info from my computer pro.

I think it's a scam.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Let me 'splain this....C cleaner is NOT a scam.They offer a free edition as well as a paid one. The paid one offers a few more features,as well as online or phone technical support that does not come with the free one. The free one works well.The buy one has more "perks".They can afford to offer a free one because many people who use the free one will upgrade to the one with more perks.Hence it works ...again,one needs to research and be informed before downloading anything.Some things ,of course are scams,but dont automatically assume to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltcamp
    If you are sure that a virus has not interfered with your programs, just go into the control panel and turn your sound system on. The volume is controlled from the speaker icon in the task bar on your screen - click on it and you move the volume indicator with the cursor.
    I was able to turn on the sound system once before but now when I go to the control panel it says "No Audio Program Installed". It doesn't even give me a choice to turn it on. I'm thinking it's a virus at this point. And I do use AVG and Microsoft. Guess it's a trip to the Tech Doc for the Ol' Girl. Actually it must be an Ol' Guy -- sometimes hard to communicate with......LOL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast