Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ccleaner....not free for me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ccleaner-not-free-me-t104969.html)

skydiver70 03-04-2011 03:47 PM

Those are scams. I ended up having to take my computer in for someone to repair it. I couldn't do anything with it. He said it was a costly mistake that I did this.

BellaBoo 03-04-2011 09:19 PM

The best thing I pay a fee for is Carbonite. It saves every picture, every file, safely online. It backs up automatically, I don't have to do it. If my computer crashes or I get a new one it takes one click and every thing is right back on the computer. It saved hundreds of pictures I had and no way to get back and this was while using the free trial. My computer crashed and I would have lost them all plus all my quilting patterns I had on file if I hadn't decided to try it. I will gladly pay the $50 a year fee. ITunes Utilites cost about $30 but it's a one time fee. It fixed all the broken stuff like the windows installer, load time for windows programs, and fast start and shut downs and removed all the junk files I didn't need.

cctx. 03-04-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I wasn't following the other thread, but I'm guessing your talking about either virus' or spyware. If virus, there are no "free" options that I know about. Trust in only the known virus software vendors - McAfee, Norton, etc.

If spyware, there are a few free options. One is called "Spybot". I've used it for years. I know of a few corporations that use it and corporations as a general rules of thumb are VERY leary of ALL downloadable software.

Sue

AVG is a very good, free anti virus software. I like it much better than either McAfee or Norton.

That's what my switch was over a year ago.
Last week I paid $70.00 to my IT technician because right after I made a huge purchase on Ebay (over $600.00) , I immediately received a nasty virus and it kept kicking me out, I could not surf, so I called my guy and he came and re-updated my AVG and removed all the spyware and Trojans that had attacked my PC.
He mentioned that I report this malicious activity to Ebay, but I disregarded his concern.
Meanwhile, I am more careful on Ebay and try not to spend too much time on there. The pirates are everywhere, especially when it comes to money.

plainpat 03-05-2011 02:34 AM

Are there any good free anti virus programs for iMac?

Lady-T 03-05-2011 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
Ccleaner isn't an antivirus or antispyware. The part that I use, it helps clean out your temp internet files and other stuff that accumulates from web browsing.

The registry side cleans out left over files from when programs are installed or removed. Unless you know what you are doing with registry cleaners, best to leave that side alone as you can have things suddenly not working. That's why I use another trusted program and always have a restore point created first.

True.
I use it all the time. Never paid.
Maybe it was the site you chose to download from?

I used this one: and it IS free
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

(download on right side next to green box)

redmadder 03-05-2011 03:34 AM

I bought the 'pay monthly' McAfee from ATT in August. In three weeks so many virus' loaded, it crashed our computer beyond repair. Kaspersky is great.

badaisie 03-05-2011 03:58 AM

I have used ccleaner for a few years now and never paid. It does a good job.

snowdenb 03-05-2011 04:09 AM

Google Spybot Search and Destroy. It is a free download.
Brenda

pieces 03-05-2011 04:14 AM

Whats that old saying?
If it sounds to good to be true, it is.
Theres a lot of scams out there, seems to be more everyday.

sew_sew 03-05-2011 04:15 AM

They have a free version but my clean up program of choice these days is Registry Machanic by PC Tools.........it does cost something (not much) but has significantly increased the speed of my computer.