Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cut finger on rotatry cutter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cut-finger-rotatry-cutter-t124035.html)

Nolee 05-19-2011 09:27 AM

I cut from first knuckle down through nail bed and almost cut off 1/4th of a fingertip last fall. I put vitamin E on it, went to Urgent Care, they just butterflied it and it healed nicely but I have no feeling in that whole area anymore. Nerves just don't connect back up after something like that. I now wear "dummy glove" to cut cause I was one!!!!

klgreene 05-19-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
more times than i care to admit. :lol:

ditto, I I've done it without using it, just forgot to close it.....

nabobw 05-19-2011 09:44 AM

Cut my finger and it was so deep had to have 3 stitches. Kind of hurt

CorgiNole 05-19-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by GrannyFitz4
I took a class several years ago. The instructor was obsessed with closing the rotary blades when not in use. Someone in a previous class had cut themselves badly with a blade left open. She said you were out of the class if you left a blade open. Because of this, I very seldom cut myself.

When I took a class earlier this year, the instructor was similarly vigilant about closing blades and threatened to charge us $$ each time she saw one open. I find that I'm much better at automatically closing mine between cuts now.

Cheers, K

k3n 05-19-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole

Originally Posted by GrannyFitz4
I took a class several years ago. The instructor was obsessed with closing the rotary blades when not in use. Someone in a previous class had cut themselves badly with a blade left open. She said you were out of the class if you left a blade open. Because of this, I very seldom cut myself.

When I took a class earlier this year, the instructor was similarly vigilant about closing blades and threatened to charge us $$ each time she saw one open. I find that I'm much better at automatically closing mine between cuts now.

Cheers, K

I thumb mine shut automatically between cuts. I am amazed when I see so-called 'celebrity' quilters (on You Tube for eg) waving their cutters around with the blades out - I have never cut myself on mine and am always cutting in every direction, even towards me, but I am very careful. I did however cut myself deeply yesterday with the bread knife! :mrgreen: :lol:

grannie cheechee 05-19-2011 10:07 AM

A yr. ago I slice the side of my left pointer finger. Should have gone to the ER, but I didn't want anybody to ask what I had done. My DH helped me put steri strips on it, and believe it or not it healed great. Did I go and buy the Klutz gloves? No! Because I thought I would know enough to be more careful. Well, just last week I cut my same finger, but it was because I didn't close the cutter.
Guess who now has KLUTZ GLOVES? LOL

mrsmlm 05-19-2011 10:45 AM

What is a guard and what does it look like?

dsch 05-19-2011 10:49 AM

It's part of your initiation ritual; congratulations, you are now truly a quilter! :D

sylviasmom 05-19-2011 10:55 AM

I haven't cut a finger, although I have "trimmed" a nail or two. Scary! In the May/June issue of Quiltmaker there is a good article on how to hold your ruler so that it not only does not slide but your fingers and/or nails are safer. It is written by Debbie Caffrey, but this info is not on website. And yes it does have pictures.

gramquilter2 05-19-2011 11:02 AM

Yes, I slashed my finger so bad the bleeding wouldn't stop and ended up at the clinic. I had 5 stitches put in and I can tell you I am VERY careful when using my rotary cutter.