Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dumbest quilt move ever!! Can you top this (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dumbest-quilt-move-ever-can-you-top-t27614.html)

harrishwhippets 10-24-2009 03:26 PM

Got back to quilting today, and I'm just zipping along attaching my binding, which was starched enought to stand alone, when I got to the ends and tried to insert them together lo and behold I SEWED THE WHOLE THING ON BACKWARDS. I have done some pretty dumb things but this one takes the cake. I'll be spending the rest of the night ripping. Oh well at least I'm back doing something. :roll:

carrieg 10-24-2009 03:58 PM

oooohhh, I never work on putting the ends together until I have 3/4 of the binding sewed on. Can you add more to the binding and then cut it to size?

Eddie 10-24-2009 04:00 PM

Oooooo....you mean you sewed the finished edge to the front and then the raw edges would have wrapped to the back? Eek! I think I would have said some ugly words! :shock: Thank goodness for seam rippers!

sandpat 10-24-2009 04:04 PM

Hah...I'm just sooo happy to have someone join MY club! I could NOT believe I ever did something soooo stupid...but...you beat me...cause you admitted it! :lol: :lol: I didn't want you to feel too bad though..so yes, I did the same thing. Don't worry any evening of spending time with the frog (rip-it) and you'll forget about it pretty soon. :roll:

harrishwhippets 10-24-2009 04:21 PM

Oh yeah, completely done, with bea-u-t-ful miters the whole yards. Got to the edges and realized it was the pressed side sewn down. I was having a lot of trouble working with this since it was black binding and for some reason I was having a hard time seeing the fold even when I was pressing it. Oh well, live and learn, just won the stupid OSCAR for quilting.
Again this still is a happy day that I can do it even if it was @#%%backwards. :lol:

joeyoz 10-24-2009 04:34 PM

I'm not sure how you are pressing and doing your binding. I cut mine to 2 1/4 inches, fold in half and press. I put the raw edge to the raw edge of the quilt and sew. I leave a long tail at the beginning so when I am about 3/4 of the way or a little more, I cut it to size, sew together and finish sewing it on.

I hope that all made sense. LOL

harrishwhippets 10-24-2009 04:47 PM

Thanks Joey for the info, but that's how I do it. Just didn't realize what I had done till I tried to join the edges of the binding together, it was backwards. I sewed the raw edge of the binding away from the quilt raw edge. Again my bindings are so starched they are pretty much stuck together. It wasn't till I try to pry them apart that I realized it was sewn on wrong. Think I need better lighting in that room. Especially when sewing blacks, to black.

Shemjo 10-24-2009 04:50 PM

Ooooh, so sorry! :cry:

joeyoz 10-24-2009 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by harrishwhippets
Thanks Joey for the info, but that's how I do it. Just didn't realize what I had done till I tried to join the edges of the binding together, it was backwards. I sewed the raw edge of the binding away from the quilt raw edge. Again my bindings are so starched they are pretty much stuck together. It wasn't till I try to pry them apart that I realized it was sewn on wrong. Think I need better lighting in that room. Especially when sewing blacks, to black.

ROFLMAO! I know it isn't funny, but I have done dumb stuff myself so I can imagine your frustration. I'm laughing with you, not at you. Blacks are so hard to see anyway. Would love to see the quilt when you are finished. I'm sure it is beautiful. ((((HUGS))))

Chele 10-24-2009 05:22 PM

Sorry, but I'm laughing so hard! I've always feared I'd do that! I'm glad you took care of it for me! I would help you "unsew" if I was near!