Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   english paper piecing hexagon hand project- 1st blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/english-paper-piecing-hexagon-hand-project-1st-blocks-t192013.html)

MimiBug123 09-22-2012 11:12 AM

Those blocks are wonderful, as is your stitching. These will make a wonderful quilt. Please let us see what you decide to make with them!

Fraew 09-22-2012 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by MimiBug123 (Post 5533112)
Those blocks are wonderful, as is your stitching. These will make a wonderful quilt. Please let us see what you decide to make with them!

I know...she decided to "gift" them to me to put together! :)

ckcowl 09-23-2012 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Fraew (Post 5533316)
I know...she decided to "gift" them to me to put together! :)

do you have a plan? i think i have figured out the details on how i want to put them together- but since you've been following along since the beginning (and made this comment) thought maybe you have a (Vision) ? i'd like to hear your ideas :thumbup:

oh- & i finished 2 more last night- so another picture will be showing up today :D

ckcowl 09-23-2012 08:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here's the 2 i finished last night watching the Tiger's game...
hubby counted them last night- i have 47 done now!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]364896[/ATTACH]

Fraew 09-23-2012 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5534366)
thought maybe you have a (Vision) ? i'd like to hear your ideas

Dear...I am one of the record holders for UFOs! :D I have vision(s), many in fact; but carrying them out is the challenge.

I know that this project was a take off of "Dear Jane". So, I think these lovelies would look great on their own, in rows separated by a white (or a neutral of your choice) diamond or hexagon path so that each one can be seen.

My first choice would be an over the top center medallion in colors to coordinate/compliment these and use these either around the medallion or in a border; again with white or a neutral background. The "Snape Hexagon Coverlet" is an example of a center medallion, but not enough over the top for your stunners. "Tumbling Snowflakes" illustrates a grand central design (more in line with "over the top").

Setting each one of these into a larger diamond pattern would also be nice. Similar to "Quilted Diamonds".

I would love to hear (read) what you are thinking also.

ckcowl 09-23-2012 10:19 AM

fraew, some great ideas- i've actually (practiced) my plan with one of the 2 blocks i remade (they started out the incorrect size) and *think* i'm going to make this my <year long> hand project-
i have sorted my blocks into 2 different catagories- one with dark (black & whites) and one with light (black & whites)
i cut batting pieces into 1/2" larger all the way around; then either a solid black (or the light ones) or a white on white for the dark ones piece of fabric 1" larger- for the backing-
layer- backing, batting, top; fold the backing over the excess batting (filling the binding) and folding again to just go over the edges of the top- stitch down- mitering the corners- then hand quilt...then when i have them all finished quilted & bound i will put them together same piecing technique as constructing them in the first place- alternating the black & whites on the back- (also when i have them all quilted/bound, i will decide if its *enough* of if i need to add additional blocks to the mix- i've considered triangles on the edges- making them all stars...only time will really tell...

lynnie 09-23-2012 10:23 AM

Show us some pica please.

Fraew 09-23-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5535398)
...only time will really tell...

I will be here watching and chearing you on. Have a great Sunday!

ckcowl 09-23-2012 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here's a pic of the one block i've (quilted/bound) so my *tentative plan* the difference would be though- had i thought it through before doing this block- this one would have a white back instead of black (because the b&w's are dark in the block) i will use solid black on the ones that have more white than black-
anyhow- here's how my practic block looks to give you an idea of what i am (pondering)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365008[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]365010[/ATTACH] oh- and i plan to quilt with a verigated pink hot pink thread so it shows up on the black & the white on the back.

ckcowl 09-26-2012 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2 more blocks- i'm to 50 now!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]365803[/ATTACH]