Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Quality? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-quality-t225783.html)

nanacc 07-14-2013 09:19 AM

Fabric Quality?

Is the fabric "soft and comfy dot fabric" at JoAnn's the one that some board members said was of poor quality?? Just saw a sale add for it.

ckcowl 07-14-2013 09:48 AM

we really are not supposed to (post negative comments) about specific stores & their products- the best way to tell is visit the store, handle the fabric- see if it's one you like- or one you find to be *sub-standard* --- some people can only afford to buy fabric at walmart- or joannes with coupons- that should not mean they should not quilt- use the best you can afford and be happy- there are certainly people who believe any fabric from a 'big-box-store' is poor quality- that's just some opinions...

irishrose 07-14-2013 09:50 AM

Is that the description of the Minky like fabric? If so, I thought it was a good quality when I was considering it for a robe.

nanacc 07-14-2013 10:25 AM

I apologize if that was read as negative toward the store. I was only referring to a thread that I remembered commenting on the quality of that fabric and assumed someone here had used it. I have read many references on the board concerning fabric quality of different brands. Believe me, I do not condemn bargain hunting for fabrics. I have seen this fabric in store but have not used it or known anyone who did. Sorry if I stepped on any toes!

auntpiggylpn 07-14-2013 11:25 AM

I've used it and felt it was of good quality. Just a cheaper version of Minky. Kind of like when you buy a car: Lexus vs. Toyota!

nanacc 07-14-2013 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn (Post 6177186)
I've used it and felt it was of good quality. Just a cheaper version of Minky. Kind of like when you buy a car: Lexus vs. Toyota!

Thank you! I was considering it for backing on some throws and baby quilts.

AlienQuilter 07-14-2013 12:54 PM

Wash it first and see how it holds up. I bought some minkee like fabric from them and when I washed it, there were huge fur balls all over it. This fabric was soft and furry on both sides. The good stuff will only be furry on one side. I have bought lots of good fabric from Joanne's. Especially love the 50 to 60 percent off coupons. That's where I bought the dragon fabric at and it's normally $13.99 a yard and I was able to use a 60 percent off coupon on it.

I would do the touch test. My rule of thumb is that if I hold it up and can see through it then it's too thin regardless of whether it's from Joanne's, Wal-Mart or a quilt store.

tessagin 07-14-2013 01:04 PM

I do the same test as AlienQuilter. If you can see through it go a little better. Often the better that you can get discounts for is just being discontinued. If there is only 2 yards on a bolt and I really like the material, I'll buy the whole bolt.

mom-6 07-14-2013 02:41 PM

I'm with all of you who do the "see and feel" testing of fabric.

If it doesn't feel good I don't buy it.

I've been known to go ahead and get some that was marginally thinner than I prefer but it was the right color and felt good!

ManiacQuilter2 07-14-2013 02:46 PM

There are different quality of fabric. Some at the discount store may be what are called seconds which do not live up to the quality that LQS demand. When I first started to quilt, one of the major lines of fabric was very stiff and starchy. I always prefer to check the fabric in person, see how see thru it is. Take a scrap of Hoffman or Moda. I always consider them the best quality. But then again, that is just my opinion. Good Luck !!