Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First shpg trip to joann's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-shpg-trip-joanns-t192098.html)

Pat G 06-18-2012 07:05 AM

First shpg trip to joann's

After reading & laughing at JulieofNM story about not needing JoAnn's anymore I just had to share my experience at JAs with you.

My 5 yr. old granddaughter, Kayla, spent her first overnight stay with me this wk. (another story). Since I'm having an "all grandkids" birthday party Sat. I wanted to make a cpl. of tableclothes for outdoor tables. We went to JAs, grabbed a cart & started going through bolts of fabric. She'd see something she liked so I told her to pull the bolt out & we'd look at it. I'd unfold it a cpl. of folds & ck. it out. She became curious about the wrong sides so we'd ck. that out. Then since she seemed so interested we started cking out the different feel of fabrics so we felt the "smooth" stuff & knew it was cotton. The "fluffy" stuff was flannel & the "cushy" stuff was fleece. So it became a challenge as we traveled through the store to see if she could remember all of that.

That night after getting home, I cut the fabric & folded up the hems. She was very interested in the sew.mach. so I showed her how everything works. She was so interested that my heart just swelled. She's going to be sewing before long.

She & her bro. call me "fishin' Grandma" since their dad has brought them out to my lake to fish since they were in diapers. It's amazing how much we can love our g-kids.

Kayla & Michael's fishin' g-ma.

Pat

Jan in VA 06-18-2012 07:10 AM

What a precious shopping day you had!:thumbup:

117becca 06-18-2012 07:14 AM

What a sweet story!!!! Can't wait til she starts sewing w/ her fishin' g'ma!!

annthreecats 06-18-2012 07:28 AM

What a wonderful memory you both have of a sweet trip to the fabric store and learning to sew at the magical sewing maching. Fun stuff.

mighty 06-18-2012 01:17 PM

Such a great story!!!!!!

Card Crafter 06-18-2012 02:08 PM

aww, what a nice story! And I can only imagine the feeling....we have a 3 yr old granddaughter.....I hope and pray she will want to sew someday :)

Sewnoma 06-18-2012 08:26 PM

I love this story! I remember BEING that little girl, utterly fascinated by the magic Gramma was creating! I always think of both of my Grandmas as I quilt since they were both quilters, it's one of the reasons I got into it. :thumbup:

Annaleehunter 06-18-2012 08:34 PM

We need more fishin grandma's!

Pickles 06-18-2012 08:47 PM

That was such a sweet story and I'm so happy for you both that you got to have some quality time together. :thumbup:

sweetana3 06-19-2012 02:14 AM

That is what creates lasting memories in the young. I learned how to sew and embroider because mom took the time to explain and let me help when I was little.

Too few take the time to explain interesting things to kids. Your visit will stay with her more than any monetary gift ever would. You can even do this at the grocery store.