Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First shpg trip to joann's

First shpg trip to joann's

After reading & laughing at JulieofNM story about not needing JoAnn's anymore I just had to share my experience at JAs with you.

My 5 yr. old granddaughter, Kayla, spent her first overnight stay with me this wk. (another story). Since I'm having an "all grandkids" birthday party Sat. I wanted to make a cpl. of tableclothes for outdoor tables. We went to JAs, grabbed a cart & started going through bolts of fabric. She'd see something she liked so I told her to pull the bolt out & we'd look at it. I'd unfold it a cpl. of folds & ck. it out. She became curious about the wrong sides so we'd ck. that out. Then since she seemed so interested we started cking out the different feel of fabrics so we felt the "smooth" stuff & knew it was cotton. The "fluffy" stuff was flannel & the "cushy" stuff was fleece. So it became a challenge as we traveled through the store to see if she could remember all of that.

That night after getting home, I cut the fabric & folded up the hems. She was very interested in the sew.mach. so I showed her how everything works. She was so interested that my heart just swelled. She's going to be sewing before long.

She & her bro. call me "fishin' Grandma" since their dad has brought them out to my lake to fish since they were in diapers. It's amazing how much we can love our g-kids.

Kayla & Michael's fishin' g-ma.

Pat

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    What a precious shopping day you had!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

What a sweet story!!!! Can't wait til she starts sewing w/ her fishin' g'ma!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful memory you both have of a sweet trip to the fabric store and learning to sew at the magical sewing maching. Fun stuff.

Such a great story!!!!!!

aww, what a nice story! And I can only imagine the feeling....we have a 3 yr old granddaughter.....I hope and pray she will want to sew someday

I love this story! I remember BEING that little girl, utterly fascinated by the magic Gramma was creating! I always think of both of my Grandmas as I quilt since they were both quilters, it's one of the reasons I got into it.

We need more fishin grandma's!

That was such a sweet story and I'm so happy for you both that you got to have some quality time together.
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

That is what creates lasting memories in the young. I learned how to sew and embroider because mom took the time to explain and let me help when I was little.

Too few take the time to explain interesting things to kids. Your visit will stay with her more than any monetary gift ever would. You can even do this at the grocery store.

Such a cute story -- she'll have some wonderful memories and so will you. That's what grandparents are for.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I live in California, and my mother lived in Silverdale, later in Poulsbo. My kids always called her Grandma Snow, because the first time they saw snow was at her house. Your post brought back some happy memories, thanks!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    Such a cute story -- she'll have some wonderful memories and so will you. That's what grandparents are for.
    I totally agree. I only had one grandparent (the others had all passed away) & Grandma was very special to me. I remember sleeping with her in her feather bed. Now Michael, 8, & Kayla, 5, both sleep with me in my "hot bed. They call it that since it has an electric blanket.

G-ma had a Singer treadle machine in her bedrm. & I got curious one day & played around with it. I ran the needle through my finger & that was that for my curiousity. I remember it so well though. This is why it's so important for me to be that grandma they remember. My two 22 yr. old g-kids spent so much time with us growing up that they are very close to me (& G-pa even though he is no longer here).

It always makes me sad to see grandmas who rarely see their g-kids. All of mine (plus a cpl. of friends & dogs) will be here this wk. end so it should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by willferg View Post
    I live in California, and my mother lived in Silverdale, later in Poulsbo. My kids always called her Grandma Snow, because the first time they saw snow was at her house. Your post brought back some happy memories, thanks!
    Poulsbo has a wonderful quilt shop. Silverdale is my closest mall so Grandma Snow & I are almost neighbors. LOL

How sweet - she will be sewing before you know it. Bet she will cherish that memory of how fish'n Gma taught her about fabric & sewing all her life.
    Shannon

Wonderful shopping trip, thanks for sharing...
    Amythyst

What a sweet story. Enjoy your family, thanks for sharing.

awesome it great when or kids or gk take a interested in what we love

"I never knew how much love my heart could hold til someone called me Grandma." Isn't that the truth? I cherish every moment I spend with my almost 3 year old grandson. It's just so different than when I had my children. I can take time to play with him and do things with him. I notice and appreciate when he does something new and cute. I didn't have the time when my kids were small. I know you are counting the minutes until this weekend. Have a wonderful time! Maybe you'll have some new stories for us on Monday.

Donna

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    sometimes it just takes a spark to get a child interested in something you are doing .. then to sit down and explain things in their language or even demonstrate it to them and they are hooked ! I have three Grands that are that way !
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    Wonderful story - - - -

Blog Entries
    Those are wonderful memories you're making!! one of my sons was taught by a neighbor how to sew buttons on when he was 3 years old!!!! I would never attempted that. Sometimes it's great to let someone else "share" your kids to gain more experiences. Enjoy the time with your grands.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Pat you are the type of Grandma every child deserves! I loved reading your thread here.

Awwww! I just love stories about grandkids!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I can hardly wait until I have Gkids--hopefully a granddaughter! Sounds like so much fun!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast