Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   On the go (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/go-t211697.html)

JulieR 01-22-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 5805551)
pack:
1 clean pair of socks
1 clean set of undergarments
1 clean t-shirt
1 clean pair of jeans
1 pair sneakers
1 set jammies, robe & slippers
laundry detergent

plus as much of your sewing room as you can cram into the car.

if hubby and kid(s) don't fit, tell them to fly or take the bus. LOL LOL LOL

YES!! :D

And if that won't work, then spend an hour in your sewing room doing what you do, and when you use something, put it in the bag. So, fabric, thread, scissors, ripper, machine (if needed) with foot pedal, extra needles and rotary cutter/mat/ruler (if everything hasn't already been cut). Plus any other stuff that falls in...

hopetoquilt 01-22-2013 06:13 PM

I tend to bring needle turn appliqué with me when I go somewhere. Then, you only need thread, needle, scissors, fabric and instructions.

liking quilting 01-22-2013 08:02 PM

My 1st quilt: Labor Day weekend trip to the cabin in N. Minnesota 2011. Packed sewing machine, fabric, thread, ruler, rotary cutter, seam ripper, scissors, pattern, etc. Continually kept running through a mental picture of everything I would need. Part way up to the cabin, I asked dh if he liked what I was wearing. He looked puzzled, and then replied it was "okay." Good, I told him, as he would be seeing me in it all weekend. I packed for my sewing project, but had not packed any clothes or food! Good thing we keep some clothes at the cabin, and go out to eat up there quite a bit!

omgtimmcgraw 01-22-2013 09:34 PM

Wow love all ideas.

Gladys 01-22-2013 11:51 PM

Well I'd definitely have to include several seam rippers...;)

carolynjo 01-24-2013 05:14 AM

Go buy yourself a tackle box, plastic, the largest you can carry. As you can afford it, add your favorite tools. I have only to pick it up and go and it is so convenient to not have to try to duplicate tools when I am in a hurry or under stress to get ready to leave. My tool box is about 15 years old and metal, but the plastic ones are nice nowadays too.

dd 01-24-2013 05:24 AM

I don't mind so much picking up the stuff to go, looking forward to the trip or class but coming home and having to put all that stuff away again, I hate it. I think that's one reason why I quit teaching sewing. Draaag all that stuff out and draaag all that stuff back in again.

lovelyl 01-24-2013 05:28 AM

I had the same problem with overpacking. I now have a small sewing basket that I keep packed just for traveling to classes, etc. I supplied it mostly from duplicate items that had found their way into my sewing room. In it I have:
1 dark and 1 light marking pen/pencil
a seam ripper
scissors
tweezers
stiletto (spelling?)
extra bobbins
extra needles
neutral light and dark thread
rotary cutter and extra blade
pins
pressing and appliqué cloth

Then I put my machine, feet, cord, foot pedal, small iron, ironing pad, cutting mat, ruler and project into my rolling machine case and I am ready to go. If I were going for overnight I guess I would include my toothbrush and some clean underwear...

BellaBoo 01-24-2013 05:43 AM

I have a tote at my both my DDs homes packed with duplicate sewing tools. I keep a small pretty bag in the glove compartment of my car filled with hand sewing projects. Right now it's hexes and yo yos. I have a tote filled with tools to take to classes and workshops, those tools have my name all over them and I keep it in the trunk of my car.

nancyw 01-24-2013 06:05 AM

I have a basket ( 10"W, 12 1/2"Land 7"D) which holds my travel iron, water container for it, the smallest spray bottle of Best Press, a pencil container of marking pencils, an insulated glass with lid and straw, and a tin box (4 1/2"L, 8 1/2"Wand 2 1/2"D) that holds extra rotary blades, filled bobbins and some empty extras, small scissors, extra machine needles, pins, a pen, a pencil, a small sticky note pad, blue tape, a 120" tape measure, sticky tape for my ruler a small notepad, a calculator, a purple thang, a brush to clean my machine and a snack zip lock bag with band-aids in it. It's called density packing. I also have a mat carrier that holds my rotary cutting mat, an ironing pad, my rulers and my rotary cutter. a sewing machine case that holds my sewing machine that has a bendable light attached to it, my foot pedal, electric cord, foot lifter and sewing machine manual. I bought 3 of the scrap book square deep container with handles when they were on sale at Jo-Anns in which I put my projects. I use one or all three depending on how long I'm going to be gone. Oh and I don't forget my clothes.