Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Half-Square Triangle Migraine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/half-square-triangle-migraine-t112390.html)

Nolee 03-31-2011 03:35 PM

I am ready to give up hst's forever. I did them the easy way on the tutorial by sewing them right sides together around all the edges, then precisely cutting on the diagonal twice and sewed them with a meticulous 1/4th inch seam and STILL they are off, STILL they are wonky. I thought I would just cut them a bit smaller with a template, but it gets stuck on the join of all four centers and moves all around and I can't cut accurately around it.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I have done them over and over and they just don't turn out the right size. Suggestions?

Airwick156 03-31-2011 03:44 PM

I have probably a couple hundred or more of them also that I cut the same way using that technique and I also have the same problem with them not coming out straight. So I just put them in a small clear plastic tote and am considering doing a PIF with them as I do not want to deal with them any longer.
I hope that you figure out what is happening soon. I know how frustrating that it is when you are wanting to make a quilt and more less are giving up because the pieces are not cooperating. So Good Luck and I am sure someone may have an answer soon.

Scissor Queen 03-31-2011 03:45 PM

I would never do them that way. You end up with bias edges on all the edges. Cut the squares bigger, draw the line down the center and sew a quarter inch away and then trim them down. The rule is to add 7/8ths of an inch but you can add an inch or even an inch and a quarter and the square them up to perfect.

Candace 03-31-2011 03:48 PM

I only do these using Triangulations software. No headaches, that way!

quilter1943 03-31-2011 03:48 PM

I always make them 1/2" larger than they say so I can trim them down. It's time consumng, but it's the only way to get them all accurate. Just have to take your time. Try a small pin wheel quilt for practice.

sandpat 03-31-2011 03:49 PM

IMHO...the way you are doing them is waaayyyy too much work. Just do them the way Scissor Queen suggested, sew a long chain of them, cut them apart, press, then trim them to size using your 45 diag. line on your small square ruler. I promise you....this works...I've made tons and tons of them this way. Good luck and do find a way to do it and still have fun, quilting is supposed to be FUN..not stressful or frustrating!

LAB55 03-31-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I would never do them that way. You end up with bias edges on all the edges. Cut the squares bigger, draw the line down the center and sew a quarter inch away and then trim them down. The rule is to add 7/8ths of an inch but you can add an inch or even an inch and a quarter and the square them up to perfect.

This is how I do them. Soooo much easier !! :-)

peaceandjoy 03-31-2011 03:59 PM

I just did a couple hundred of these using Triangulations. Printed them out on doodle pad paper (trimmed down to standard copy paper size) from the dollar store.

I did still have to trim them up a bit - but they are all perfect now!

QuiltedAngel 03-31-2011 04:01 PM

Quilt in a day has a half square triangle ruler, actually they have 2 a 6 1/2 and a 9 1/2 inch... It is worth a shot, she also has videos on her site and vimeo :) <3

cheryl rearick 03-31-2011 04:07 PM

I bought some stencils from a board member and can make 31 triangle squares at a time or just one. THEN I also bought a JUNE TAYLOR Half Triangle Square RULER.... (it is awesome) After using stencils I square up 100% with June Taylor. Works like a champ.... Never will I be without either one of these items again... So awesome.... If you want name of stencils let me know I will go look. NO WASTE.... NONE :)