Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Square Triangle Migraine

I am ready to give up hst's forever. I did them the easy way on the tutorial by sewing them right sides together around all the edges, then precisely cutting on the diagonal twice and sewed them with a meticulous 1/4th inch seam and STILL they are off, STILL they are wonky. I thought I would just cut them a bit smaller with a template, but it gets stuck on the join of all four centers and moves all around and I can't cut accurately around it.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I have done them over and over and they just don't turn out the right size. Suggestions?

Blog Entries
    I have probably a couple hundred or more of them also that I cut the same way using that technique and I also have the same problem with them not coming out straight. So I just put them in a small clear plastic tote and am considering doing a PIF with them as I do not want to deal with them any longer.
    I hope that you figure out what is happening soon. I know how frustrating that it is when you are wanting to make a quilt and more less are giving up because the pieces are not cooperating. So Good Luck and I am sure someone may have an answer soon.

I would never do them that way. You end up with bias edges on all the edges. Cut the squares bigger, draw the line down the center and sew a quarter inch away and then trim them down. The rule is to add 7/8ths of an inch but you can add an inch or even an inch and a quarter and the square them up to perfect.

I only do these using Triangulations software. No headaches, that way!

I always make them 1/2" larger than they say so I can trim them down. It's time consumng, but it's the only way to get them all accurate. Just have to take your time. Try a small pin wheel quilt for practice.

Blog Entries
    IMHO...the way you are doing them is waaayyyy too much work. Just do them the way Scissor Queen suggested, sew a long chain of them, cut them apart, press, then trim them to size using your 45 diag. line on your small square ruler. I promise you....this works...I've made tons and tons of them this way. Good luck and do find a way to do it and still have fun, quilting is supposed to be FUN..not stressful or frustrating!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    I would never do them that way. You end up with bias edges on all the edges. Cut the squares bigger, draw the line down the center and sew a quarter inch away and then trim them down. The rule is to add 7/8ths of an inch but you can add an inch or even an inch and a quarter and the square them up to perfect.
    This is how I do them. Soooo much easier !! :-)

I just did a couple hundred of these using Triangulations. Printed them out on doodle pad paper (trimmed down to standard copy paper size) from the dollar store.

I did still have to trim them up a bit - but they are all perfect now!

Quilt in a day has a half square triangle ruler, actually they have 2 a 6 1/2 and a 9 1/2 inch... It is worth a shot, she also has videos on her site and vimeo :) <3

I bought some stencils from a board member and can make 31 triangle squares at a time or just one. THEN I also bought a JUNE TAYLOR Half Triangle Square RULER.... (it is awesome) After using stencils I square up 100% with June Taylor. Works like a champ.... Never will I be without either one of these items again... So awesome.... If you want name of stencils let me know I will go look. NO WASTE.... NONE :)

Oops - I did quarter square triangles, not half squares. But if you buy the CD, both quarter square and half square are on it!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    So frustrating!! Been there. I like Scissor Queens way also :)

I always cut mine larger, too. They never seem to all come out the same - works better for me to just square them up afterward, even though it's an extra step.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    I am ready to give up hst's forever. I did them the easy way on the tutorial by sewing them right sides together around all the edges, then precisely cutting on the diagonal twice and sewed them with a meticulous 1/4th inch seam and STILL they are off, STILL they are wonky. I thought I would just cut them a bit smaller with a template, but it gets stuck on the join of all four centers and moves all around and I can't cut accurately around it.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I have done them over and over and they just don't turn out the right size. Suggestions?
    I put little sticky pads on the bottom of my square ruler. It helps to keep it from slipping around and adds some depth to the outer parts so the cutting is easier. Did you starch your fabric first? Sure helps them to stay firm and less wonky.

Blog Entries
    I have the wonder cut ruler, and they come out perfect every time. You take two strips, sew them together on both long sides. Line up the ruler on one end, cut and you have a triangle. Then, turn the ruler, and cut again. I would not make them without this again.

Try this: http://www.blockcentral.com/hst/hst-2inch.pdf
    Read the directions. These make finished 2" hst blocks.

This is the only way I can do them.

I use "Thangles", come out perfect every time.

I agree, I do HSTs not QSTs. So much easier.

Although, I was part of a HST exchange last year that was so easy. In just a few hours I made just over 1,100 HSTs from a pattern my LQS called Cinnamon sticks. It was so easy. I took a dark and a light, right sides together, stiched a "pattern" and cut them apart and in five minutes of sewing and five more minutes of cutting I had 28 HST. I did the pattern 40 times, brought it into my LQS for exchange and walked out a month later with 40 "sticks" or 1120 HSTs of every imaginable combination. I made my avatar quilt with them.

It took me longer to sit on the floor and arrange them all in a pleasing pattern than it did to sew the HSTs in the first place! I can scan in the "pattern" tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Tara

I use "Thangles", come out perfect every time.

Oh cool!! I'd LOVE to see that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
    I agree, I do HSTs not QSTs. So much easier.

Although, I was part of a HST exchange last year that was so easy. In just a few hours I made just over 1,100 HSTs from a pattern my LQS called Cinnamon sticks. It was so easy. I took a dark and a light, right sides together, stiched a "pattern" and cut them apart and in five minutes of sewing and five more minutes of cutting I had 28 HST. I did the pattern 40 times, brought it into my LQS for exchange and walked out a month later with 40 "sticks" or 1120 HSTs of every imaginable combination. I made my avatar quilt with them.

It took me longer to sit on the floor and arrange them all in a pleasing pattern than it did to sew the HSTs in the first place! I can scan in the "pattern" tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Tara

Man, you are only about 2 hours away from me.......I could come up on a Saturday and we could cut HST all day long AFTER we hit the fabric stores!

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    IMHO...the way you are doing them is waaayyyy too much work. Just do them the way Scissor Queen suggested, sew a long chain of them, cut them apart, press, then trim them to size using your 45 diag. line on your small square ruler. I promise you....this works...I've made tons and tons of them this way. Good luck and do find a way to do it and still have fun, quilting is supposed to be FUN..not stressful or frustrating!
    This is the way I do them, also. Haven't had problems so far. (knock on wood).

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltedAngel
    Quilt in a day has a half square triangle ruler, actually they have 2 a 6 1/2 and a 9 1/2 inch... It is worth a shot, she also has videos on her site and vimeo :) <3
    That is what I use also. WONDERFUL! Triangle Square-Up Ruler by Quilt in a Day.

Have you starched your fabrics before cutting? I prefer doing the squares 1" larger than the size of HST I want, sew diagonally, then cutting in half diagonally or if I have a lot to do, I make a grid. When doing it the way you have, you have to really be careful not to stretch because you're working with the bias .

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast