Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half-Square Triangle Migraine >

Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Old 04-03-2011, 06:07 PM

[quote=Nolee] I am ready to give up hst's forever. I did them the easy way on the tutorial by sewing them right sides together around all the edges, then precisely cutting on the diagonal twice and sewed them with a meticulous 1/4th inch seam and STILL they are off, STILL they are wonky. I thought I would just cut them a bit smaller with a template, but it gets stuck on the join of all four centers and moves all around and I can't cut accurately around it.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I have done them over and over and they just don't turn out the right size. Suggestions?
[/quote.

Have you tried using "Thangles" by Mary B. Hayes. They really work. I get them at my LQS I use them if making lots of little ones like my basket quilt. No 7/8" cutting. There is also a rather new sq. cutting ruler that has a ridge for placing on the seam so it doesn't slip. Good luck and never give up. Take a break then go back and try again.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 PM

[quote=Nolee] I am ready to give up hst's forever. I did them the easy way on the tutorial by sewing them right sides together around all the edges, then precisely cutting on the diagonal twice and sewed them with a meticulous 1/4th inch seam and STILL they are off, STILL they are wonky. I thought I would just cut them a bit smaller with a template, but it gets stuck on the join of all four centers and moves all around and I can't cut accurately around it.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I have done them over and over and they just don't turn out the right size. Suggestions?
[/quote.

Have you tried using "Thangles" by Mary B. Hayes. They really work. I get them at my LQS I use them if making lots of little ones like my basket quilt. No 7/8" cutting. There is also a rather new sq. cutting ruler that has a ridge for placing on the seam so it doesn't slip. Good luck and never give up. Take a break then go back and try again.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Hi,

Kaye England's rulers, called Nifty Notions Rulers - Quilt for a Cure (some of the proceeds go to Breast Cancer Research) - are wonderful for half-square and quarter square triangles. For the half square triangles you put two strips right-sides together, and then use the ruler to cut the triangles, sew on the diagonal, and you are done - no squaring up needed! The ruler allows you to make half-square triangle units from 1 inch to 8 inches. The quasrter square triangle ruler works the same way. In addition, a combination of both rulers will make flying geese - no need for special rulers of varying size! Not all quilt shops carry her rulers, but you may be able to get them from her web site (not sure) - just Google Kaye England. They are wonderful! She also has many other rulers bor bias traingles, kaleidoscope (both can be used to make very easy dresden plate pieces), half-rectangles and many more. And the rulers all have little round holes on the whole-inch lines which are wonderful for lining up your fabric! Give some a try - I think you will love them!
Old 04-15-2011, 05:07 PM

That is how I cut them. Sometimes I wonder if it's easier just to cut the triangle & then join them :?:
Old 04-15-2011, 05:13 PM

The quit in a day ruler is an awesome tool. Used it in my quilt class making pinwheel squares....It was so awesome I had to buy the ruler.
Originally Posted by QuiltedAngel
Quilt in a day has a half square triangle ruler, actually they have 2 a 6 1/2 and a 9 1/2 inch... It is worth a shot, she also has videos on her site and vimeo :) <3