Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half-Square Triangle Migraine >

Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Nolee, I hope all the above ideas and suggestions have helped you. It is terrible to have the creative juices flowing and suddenly you are stopped by frustration because something is just not working for you.

You've done beautiful work in the past, so we are all sure you will get through this stumbling block.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
IMHO...the way you are doing them is waaayyyy too much work. Just do them the way Scissor Queen suggested, sew a long chain of them, cut them apart, press, then trim them to size using your 45 diag. line on your small square ruler. I promise you....this works...I've made tons and tons of them this way. Good luck and do find a way to do it and still have fun, quilting is supposed to be FUN..not stressful or frustrating!
Just what I do also......but one added suggestion:

PRESS - Do not iron. Just press down on the seam to set it and gently press it open. I generally use my fingernail to fingerpress just before hitting it with the iron!

Also, if you have a problem with the piece slipping under the ruller as you are triming the triangle down before pressing it open, use a smaller mat so you can turn the mat to get to the second side instead of crossing your arms. Or, if you have the "lazy susan" type of rotary cutting mat, use that.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by auntmag
I use "Thangles", come out perfect every time.
Ditto
Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 PM

I would like the name of the stencils---Thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by sandpat
IMHO...the way you are doing them is waaayyyy too much work. Just do them the way Scissor Queen suggested, sew a long chain of them, cut them apart, press, then trim them to size using your 45 diag. line on your small square ruler. I promise you....this works...I've made tons and tons of them this way. Good luck and do find a way to do it and still have fun, quilting is supposed to be FUN..not stressful or frustrating!
Just what I do also......but one added suggestion:

PRESS - Do not iron. Just press down on the seam to set it and gently press it open. I generally use my fingernail to fingerpress just before hitting it with the iron!

Also, if you have a problem with the piece slipping under the ruller as you are triming the triangle down before pressing it open, use a smaller mat so you can turn the mat to get to the second side instead of crossing your arms. Or, if you have the "lazy susan" type of rotary cutting mat, use that.
I am usually the opposite of everyone else. I NEVER Press I want that sucker as flat as I can get it and I IRON it with everything I have every time.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 PM

I am usually the opposite of everyone else. I NEVER Press I want that sucker as flat as I can get it and I IRON it with everything I have every time.[/quote]

:-D
Whatever works for each of us...that's why I just love this board!!! No one "Quilt Police Law". Go for it. :lol: :thumbup:
Old 04-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Momsmurf
I am usually the opposite of everyone else. I NEVER Press I want that sucker as flat as I can get it and I IRON it with everything I have every time.
:-D
Whatever works for each of us...that's why I just love this board!!! No one "Quilt Police Law". Go for it. :lol: :thumbup:[/quote]

My favorite mantra is Live and Let live! It would be a boring world if we all thought alike!
And alot less creative if we didnt' all have lots of our own ideas!!

My dad always called me the backwards kid. I never did anything the way anyone else would do it! :mrgreen:
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 AM

[I am usually the opposite of everyone else. I NEVER Press I want that sucker as flat as I can get it and I IRON it with everything I have every time.[/quote]

Do you use steam when you press seams? Also, I sent you a pm.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:16 AM

[I am usually the opposite of everyone else. I NEVER Press I want that sucker as flat as I can get it and I IRON it with everything I have every time.[/quote]

Do you use steam when you press seams? Also, I sent you a pm.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:29 AM

I use the thangles easy peasy, you can get them at your lqs. worth the 5.99 they cost. Did a whole quilt of the month with nothing but three colors a package of thangles turned out real nice