Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half-Square Triangle Migraine >

Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Half-Square Triangle Migraine

Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 PM

I prep my fabric with starch so the bias edges in the center seam are more stable. I also used to make them bigger than square them up. "sliver trimming" is tedious but it will help you until you get more confident.
I use the EZ angle and Companion Angle rulers now. Perfect every time.
XOXOO Subee
Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM

What is triangulation software. I have not purchased computerized quilting software but am considering it.

Gail

Originally Posted by Candace
I only do these using Triangulations software. No headaches, that way!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Fons and Porter has a great group of Hints,Techniques and Helps. I think it cost a little to get access, but it is worth it as there are maney other things posted there.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM

Well, I said yesterday that I would make a pattern and scan it in for my easy HSTs for when you want a bunch that are the same but before I got it done, I read the more of this thread and someone posted this link

http://www.blockcentral.com/a-halfsq...glepaper.shtml

and this is all it is. If you want a longer "chain" of them then just patch two or more of the patterns together to get more.

Anyway, I loved this method for when I wanted a bunch of HSTs the same. I quickly made up over 1,000 HSTs and they were great. Now, this method only works when you have bigger pieces of fabric to start versus making HSTs with small scraps.

Tara
Old 04-01-2011, 01:23 PM

I do have this program and it does make accurate HST's. But I like scrappy quilts and so do not use this method very often.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Have you ever tried Thangles? They come in all different sizes and it is similar to paper piece-ing them. Very easy! Find them at your LQS.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Originally Posted by Nolee
I am ready to give up hst's forever. I did them the easy way on the tutorial by sewing them right sides together around all the edges, then precisely cutting on the diagonal twice and sewed them with a meticulous 1/4th inch seam and STILL they are off, STILL they are wonky. I thought I would just cut them a bit smaller with a template, but it gets stuck on the join of all four centers and moves all around and I can't cut accurately around it.

What in the world am I doing wrong? I have done them over and over and they just don't turn out the right size. Suggestions?
Try this: http://www.blockcentral.com/hst/hst-2inch.pdf
Read the directions. These make finished 2" hst blocks.
THANKS, i saved that template...
Old 04-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Scissor Queen's way is the very simplest and "right" way to do HST. I've read Norelli's post several times and I still can't figure out how she attempted to do it by sewing all around the edges, nor where she would have gotten this information. Also if you do it as Scissor Queen suggests, you can chain piece hundreds of these without stopping, sewing an accurate 1/4-inch on either side of the marked diagonal line, and then cut them apart and cut through the diagonal line--voila! Zillions of half-square triangles! (Be sure to add the 7/8 of an inch to the size you want your finished triangles to turn out when you cut out your squares.)
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM

Thangles, Thangles, Thangles, love it!!!! works every time, and they come in different sizes.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltedAngel
Quilt in a day has a half square triangle ruler, actually they have 2 a 6 1/2 and a 9 1/2 inch... It is worth a shot, she also has videos on her site and vimeo :) <3
I love these rullers they work great. round up to next inch and then trim before opening the hst.