Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever THROWN AWAY brand new fabric? ON PURPOSE! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-thrown-away-brand-new-fabric-purpose-t166772.html)

stitchengramie 11-09-2011 05:44 AM

If a fabric keeps bleeding even after you have washed it several times. Does that mean the fabric did not hold the dye? I am just wondering why this would happen.

joycecil 11-09-2011 10:57 AM

You'll find a use for it.

Painiacs 11-09-2011 11:10 AM

I'd Prob put it in recycle pile. What an ordeal! DH has pr black pants like that! I hate washing them!!

wraez 11-09-2011 11:28 AM

nope would NEVER throw away fabric! I would cut in smaller pcs for crumb quilts, or use for fabric postcards, or even give them to a friend who uses scraps for making scrap quilts or dog pillows. I'm way too frugal to just throw it away.

TX GMimi 11-11-2011 01:20 PM

0r give it to the humane society - the animals aren't picky.

Shirls4sons 11-11-2011 02:06 PM

My first reaction to the title of this thread was a GASP!! The second reaction was, Heaven forbid I never would!!! Then I read your post....horrible fabric! I think I would even throw that away, and I never throw away the teensiest bit of any fabric. I'd be afraid of it.

alwayslearning 11-11-2011 02:51 PM

Boy, I would sure try returning it. The store may have no idea.

Havplenty 11-11-2011 03:53 PM

i have some know black that has never soften up and it picks up everything so i just use it in small pieces in quilt projects.

i had to throw fabric away at one time GASP!! but now it would be difficult to do. i make pet pads and give to the animal rescue groups as i know those volunteers come out of their pockets for so much stuff. also the animal rescue groups will take large fabric pieces (they use in pet cages) or donate to a second hand store and someone will buy it or do a pif on this board with the caveat. i'm sure someone will find another purpose for unwanted fabric.

Originally Posted by texpat45 (Post 4646540)
Oh, yes! I have one of those pieces of fabric now...had it for 4 or 5 years...haven't thrown it out...yet....but everytime I see it I'm sorely tempted. It's 6 yds of Kona Black...and I detest the stuff. Brought it home, washed it, dried it and both selvage edges ravelled out the entire 6 yd length. Had to pile the stuff on the bed to fold...it's thick...2-3 times thicker than any 100% cottan fabric I've ever seen and, wrinkled like a dried apple, and has picked up every thread and piece of lint within 3 miles. I've washed 2 or 3 times more - it just keeps wrinkling and picking up lint. Lint rolled it, tried dampening and ironing. It's junk and one of these days I'm gonna toss it.

jmabby 11-11-2011 04:00 PM

I always take it back for 2 reasons. The owner, if a small shop would certainly want to know about the problems and not order it again. The other reason is I found they always have told me to pick out another piece of the same price. I usually pay $7 plus (sale price today) for a yard and certainly would not throw $7 away.