Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How do you dress for guild meetings? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-do-you-dress-guild-meetings-t210933.html)

kitsykeel 01-14-2013 08:30 PM

Oh Dunster, I have seen those clips online too. Can you believe what people will wear in public, kind of scary. But it does give us a good laugh. Since retiring I don't think I have even worn a skirt or dress, only jeans at first, gained some weight and now corduroy pants to go out and sweats in the house. As for fixing hair and makeup when I am at home, out of the question. Takes up too much precious time that can be spent sewing or being on the quilting board.

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5785585)
I imagine this is partly regional, as well as age-related. We tend to dress more casually on the west coast. Most women at my guilds are very casually dressed, but a few are very well put together. Me, I've lived in jeans since I retired, sometimes with a t-shirt and sometimes with a blouse. Sometimes I do change clothes to go to the Walmart, but that's because I'm still in my pajamas and Walmart frowns on that. (Well, maybe not. I've seen pictures online of some of those Walmart shoppers. Not pretty.)

SuzieQuilts 01-14-2013 08:46 PM

Our guild is "anything goes". I have never given it any thought before this post on appropriate dress for guild meetings. Comfort is the important thing for us. Any where from dress clothes to sweats. I coach basketball, so I have come from practice in sweats to meetings, and no one has said anything about it. I usually come from work, unless it is summer, and never feel over dressed. We are just glad people are there and want them to feel comfortable no matter what they wear.

DOTTYMO 01-15-2013 12:55 AM

I like to dress casual sometimes( no jeans) or smart on another day. I would nearly always wear a skirt. Trousers are for walking in, cold and uncomfortable. I have some bright trendy long skirts I wear either with low heels or high.
As loNg as people are polite and the conversation is about quilting heck come in what ever makes you happy.

marymay 01-15-2013 04:19 AM

Here I thought I was the only one that calls Wal Mart "Wally World" To meeting I were shorts(I live in Fl ) and Flip Flops. anything goes at my meetings. I just bought a pair of long Jean for the 1st time in 12 years. :-)

eparys 01-15-2013 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5785532)
I've noticed that how the ladies dress kind of depends on their age. Many of our older members don't wear jeans. It's not that they're "dressed up," they just don't ever wear jeans. The younger members all tend to wear jeans in the winter and capris or shorts in the summer.

I agree with Scissor Queen our older members are usually dressed in nice slacks, top and jewelry while the younger members wear jeans and Tee Shirts. I wear jeans and a top (not that I am young) as now that I am retired I enjoy not getting dressed to the hilt!!

BLTrip 01-15-2013 04:55 AM

This is pretty much the same for our guild. Everyone looks age appropriately nice. Not dressed up, but casual. Many will wear their latest creations. Embroidered tops, quilted jackets, appliqued t-shirts, etc.. Some do come from work, but being a rural area, we are not in business suits. I don't think anyone really cares. It is about the sharing and sisterhood.

kuntryquilter 01-15-2013 05:03 AM

Most everyone in our guild dresses very casual. In the summer some even wear shorts.

patchsamkim 01-15-2013 05:04 AM

Mostly casual dress at our guild...some dress in "quilty clothing" and most wear just about anything...very few come dressed up...unless they come from work.

happyquiltmom 01-15-2013 05:09 AM

If I happen to have worked at the shop that day, I wear my work clothes (business casual). If I had the day off, I wear jeans and a casual top. We have a mixed range of dress at our meetings.

Sandygirl 01-15-2013 05:13 AM

I dress according to the guild. I tend to be pretty casual at my local guild ...sans make-up...but i step it up at the larger guild that is out of town. Quilters are pretty casual IMHO and experience.

Sandy