Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I did a bad, bad thing.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-did-bad-bad-thing-t116739.html)

tutt 04-17-2011 05:05 AM

My husband lost his job in November, but he's retirement age, so it's working out and I still have a very good job, and we've paid off most of our bills and are preparing the house for my retirement. Then my badness hit.......I really feel awful, but I bought (financed) a Bernina 820 today! I love it, but why did I do this. I didn't need it....I have a Pfaff that I love, but I'm afraid if I don't get it now, I'll never have it! I'm conflicted, I want it but not sure I should keep it!!! Help, make me feel better!!!! Buyer's remorse sucks!

CoriAmD 04-17-2011 05:07 AM

Like you said, "if not now, when".... You did the right thing and the little extra you pay on this each month can come from some creative grocery shopping. ;)

sueisallaboutquilts 04-17-2011 05:09 AM

Awww, I hope you get over the guilt. Sounds like you know your financial situation and you're still working so it sounds good to me! :)

Tcharlie 04-17-2011 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by tutt
My husband lost his job in November, but he's retirement age, so it's working out and I still have a very good job, and we've paid off most of our bills and are preparing the house for my retirement. Then my badness hit.......I really feel awful, but I bought (financed) a Bernina 820 today! I love it, but why did I do this. I didn't need it....I have a Pfaff that I love, but I'm afraid if I don't get it now, I'll never have it! I'm conflicted, I want it but not sure I should keep it!!! Help, make me feel better!!!! Buyer's remorse sucks!

Ok, here goes!

If your husband is retired and you are close to retirement and you both worked all your lives, then you deserve your own toys. My husband has his toys in restoring cars and shows them and he is a smoker and buys cartons of cigs each week therefore I don't have buyer's remorse on things that I want to have now while I am working and can pay for them. Lord knows the money will not be there when I retire.

So, Go for it and while you are at it make sure you get all the attachments too!

Tcharlie

lots2do 04-17-2011 05:15 AM

It actually sounds sensible to me because you're still working and can pay it off. I think it's a natural reaction to retiring, too. My DH is a year from early retirement. I've been wondering what things will be like when I'm still working and he's not! I have my eye on a Sweet Sixteen Sitdown system for someday...

oz-quilter 04-17-2011 05:20 AM

Spending money on something you love is never a bad thing.
I have my eye on a sweet sixteen too, maybe for my birthday.

mltquilt 04-17-2011 05:22 AM

Enjoy your 820. I retired about 2 years ago and just recently bought the 830. Didn't really need it but I plan on putting it to good use. DH is still working. Thought I had purchased all my toys before I retired but the 830 kept calling my name.

mltquilt

Maia B 04-17-2011 05:43 AM

Who knows what the future holds? Just use it and enjoy it to the fullest. Congrats!

quiltingaz 04-17-2011 05:46 AM

REmember, it is a Bernina. It will last you the rest of your life. I have a 440 QE, love it but wish I had the bigger throat. Just enjoy.

featherweight 04-17-2011 06:06 AM

I did the same thig just before I retired in 06. I had dreamed of owning a Viking SE. My husband told me, If you want it you better be thinking of getting it now. And you had better buy all the goodies to go with it now too as we may not be able to later on. So I bit the bullet. I bought everything I wanted for it and I have never regreted it one little bit. Enjoy it...