Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ideas or thoughts - Batiks mixed with solids (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ideas-thoughts-batiks-mixed-solids-t206428.html)

DeMaris 11-19-2012 11:02 AM

Ideas or thoughts - Batiks mixed with solids

I haven't really played much with batiks, however, I am about to make a masculine quilt out of them. Now I want a black sashing between rows and blocks. What is rule of thumb....can I mix batiks with say a moda solid black or should I get a dark black batik and keep it all the same????? Anyone have pictures of batiks and solids mixed that you want to share with me to help me make up my mind before I cut up the fabric......Thanks!!!
DeMaris

gollytwo 11-19-2012 11:08 AM

I mix batiks and non-batiks all the time - no trouble ensues

ArtsyOne 11-19-2012 11:09 AM

Mix away! Sometimes a solid is needed to calm things down.

ghostrider 11-19-2012 11:20 AM

No pictures to share, but solids work very well with batiks. They 'ground' them. I'm 'collecting' for a quilt for my BFF's DH (went to college with them both and have already done a quilt for her) that will be a dozen brown on black batiks with Kona black to set them off. I'm sure I won't want to part with it so I'm buying enough fabric for at least two of them! :)

Rose S. 11-19-2012 11:26 AM

There really are no quilt police...do what you like. I have seen batiks mixed with non-batiks and they are beautiful. Haven't seen them with solids, but think that would look very, very good!

GrannieAnnie 11-19-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by DeMaris (Post 5667646)
I haven't really played much with batiks, however, I am about to make a masculine quilt out of them. Now I want a black sashing between rows and blocks. What is rule of thumb....can I mix batiks with say a moda solid black or should I get a dark black batik and keep it all the same????? Anyone have pictures of batiks and solids mixed that you want to share with me to help me make up my mind before I cut up the fabric......Thanks!!!
DeMaris

If the color arrangements suit you, no one else counts.

ckcowl 11-19-2012 11:56 AM

batiks are a (hand dyed) cotton fabric---you can mix them with anything you want. there is no rule...
i have quilts that are pieces with batiks, calico's, solids, fairy frosts, silks, flannels & wools...use them the same you would any other fabric you choose to use in your quilt.
the only thing to keep in mind is sometimes the saturated deep colors do bleed more than some other fabrics- it's usually a good idea to at least color test them to make sure they are not going to bleed- and they tend to be a bit tighter weave- so hand quilting is a little more challenging- a good new sharp needle is also a good idea

SandiGrove 11-19-2012 12:56 PM

I have done a quilt mixing both and the plains made the Bali fabrics pop I used contrasting plains! Go for it!

Anael 11-19-2012 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I do that all the time. Here's one I made (still needs to be quilted), only batiks and black solid for sashing and borders.

JJean 11-19-2012 01:30 PM

Batiks do bleed more than other fabrics. I prewash batiks with retayne. So it's not a problem if you are using a black solid. But if you decide on a light colored solid--you would be wise to prewash with retayne.