Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just one comment. "This ain't woodworking buddy" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-one-comment-aint-woodworking-buddy-t205990.html)

Tallbald 11-14-2012 12:11 PM

Just one comment. "This ain't woodworking buddy"

Due to a multiplicity of events yesterday, I didn't get to start cutting for my first quilt. I did, however, between MD appointments, get to pattern out, cut and sew an arched end dust cover for our hand crank 99K. What was that now?? Oh yeah. 3.1417 times the diameter divide by two plus the side length doubled plus 1/2 inch for seam allowance on the ends and 1/2 inch to the width for the hem. Took a few moments with a calculator to figure the length of the wrap. Sewing the arches was a chore and I can't imagine tackling an inset sleeve.... sheesh. Plywood doesn't crawl ya know. Don

MTS 11-14-2012 12:34 PM

Hey, anyone that knows that value of Pi (and how to use it) gets a gold star in my book.

I remember watching an episode of the Orange County Choppers years ago - maybe it was while they were making the Spiderman bike - Paul Jr. was talking about the process of cutting the templates - made me crack up.
Same terminology, same tracing, same cutting, similar application.
Just different materials and tools.
It was quite amusing.

If you can, post a picture.

SandScraps 11-15-2012 05:25 AM

That's why I married a math teacher - he does the math and I do the sewing. If I had to get entagled in Pi and such, the family would die and such. I'm much more famous for eyeballing and measuring using fingers, the width of a hand, length of an arm or whatever is closeby and my projects seem to evolve from first idea to final product.

ghostrider 11-15-2012 05:42 AM

LOL My ex, a very precise finish carpenter, could never accept that you just can't make butt joints with fabric. I hate to think what he'd have to say about a "scant" quarter inch!!

Mom3 11-15-2012 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tallbald (Post 5656780)
.... sheesh. Plywood doesn't crawl ya know. Don

Now THAT was funny! (she says as she chokes on her morning coffee reading the post)

Hubby's a retired tinner - I know what you mean! :)

PS Picture please!!!

Shari

liont 11-15-2012 05:53 AM

Oh, what about sines, cosines and tangents?
I used those to make my own Dresden wedge ruler:)
Math is so useful!

BellaBoo 11-15-2012 06:21 AM

I just use a math app. One of the ones that had to learn how to use a slide rule, an adding machine, manual typewriter, and shorthand in school, and never ever had to use them again, I love technology.

Country1 11-15-2012 06:45 AM

This is Penny, Tallbald's wife. He done a great job and it looks wonderful. Very proud of him as always!...
Penny

Tallbald 11-15-2012 08:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Miss Penny is partial. When she tells me "baby you're handsome" I smile and tell her "honey you just don't get out of the house enough!".
Here's photos of our hand crank 99K and the cover I hammered out. Used an ice cream bucket lid to trace the arch. "Yeah. That'll do......." Don

JudyTheSewer 11-15-2012 11:13 AM

Very nice! I need to make a few of those for my babies.