Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Kona Solid Fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/kona-solid-fabrics-t205993.html)

Favorite Fabrics 11-14-2012 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5657161)
True Kona Cotton Solids are made only by Robert Kaufman, that's the only brand name. As for right and wrong side, Kona Solids are yarn dyed so there is no difference at all between the sides.

Are you *sure* it's yarn dyed? I once got a bolt of sable brown Kona (from Kaufman, not from JoAnn's) and on one side, there were lots of paler spots. I would think they were what happens when during the manufacturing process not all of the "fuzz" is removed, and after the fabric is dyed, then if the fuzz is brushed off, paler spots are left.

The other side of the fabric was just fine. And that was the only time I've ever run into that problem with any of Kaufman's fabrics. Actually, I don't think I ever ran into it with any other quilt-shop brands either. I did see it happen quite a lot with Springs Quilters Only solids.

And I agree, there isn't a right side or wrong side with Kona cotton. Both seem the same to me!

bearisgray 11-14-2012 09:21 PM

This may not be true any more -
but several years ago, the dye lots did not seem to be consistent -
so, if you can, buy as much as you need of one color all off the same bolt.

It does feel 'heftier' to me than most of the other quilting cottons I have. I think it's too bulky to use for small piece applique work.

sewingsuz 11-15-2012 12:48 AM

I love the Kona cottons.

coopah 11-15-2012 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by skowron5 (Post 5656833)
I am going to be taking Amy Gibson's class she teaches on her website next year and she is using Kona Solid Fabrics. I was wondering if anyone has used these fabrics and what they think of them.

I usually stay away from solids because they are so thin. I was wondering if they are a better fabric then most solids.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Where are you buying Kona? I have NEVER had thin Kona and it is my preferred "go to" for a solid, especially for the cost. If you are buying from JoAnn's that could be the problem. In the past, this was discussed on this board. You might want to check out the old threads for more information. Bought Kona yesterday at Hobby Lobby at 30% off and the heft is what I expect. I don't use any other solids unless I already have them.

ghostrider 11-15-2012 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics (Post 5657728)
Are you *sure* it's yarn dyed?

That's what they claim, but I don't have proof, no.

sguillot 11-15-2012 06:29 AM

I also have Kona Solids in lots of colors and they are not thin and work really well. I really love Kona Cotton.

Scraplady 11-15-2012 06:44 AM

Kona cottons sold at Hobby Lobby retail for $7.99, but are one of their "always 30% off" deals so $5.59. They are by Robert Kaufman and I like them much better than the Classic cottons sold there. I used to work at my local Hobby Lobby and miss my discount, but still go there for lots of my fabric since it's right up the street.

ItsJustMe 11-15-2012 07:32 AM

Kona solids are the best, in my opinion! I always buy them at our local Hancock's or online at Fabric.com. Fabric.com currently has them for $5.48/yard, which I consider to be a good deal. I think you will like working with them. They have a good hand.

cmw0829 11-15-2012 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5657161)
True Kona Cotton Solids are made only by Robert Kaufman, that's the only brand name. As for right and wrong side, Kona Solids are yarn dyed so there is no difference at all between the sides.

Thanks Ghost. It was the Kaufman then. I'm happy about the right/wrong side issue as I know I upended a few of the pieces. :)

skowron5 11-15-2012 08:14 AM

I have never bought Kona. I very seldom ever use solids, but it seems to me they are always very thin. That is why I was questioning if a better fabric would not be that way. I have even bought solids at LQS's that were thin, but I never paid attention to the brand I was buying. Thanks for all the help.