Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making your own Jelly Roll (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-your-own-jelly-roll-t121695.html)

hoppa 05-09-2011 05:51 AM

like the idea of cutting a strip ftom every fabric

gramarraine 05-09-2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
Ive run into that same problem with charm packs..... some of the squares were cut in half!! Couldnt return it since I had kept it over a year befor using it. very frustrating!

Originally Posted by wolph33
precuts that I bought were off by a half inch.I will not buy them any more-I can cut better than that.I was very disappointed with the lack of accuracy-messed up my project.

If your charm pack is a Moda brand I'll bet that you will find that the one that is cut in half has at least 1 or more full size ones in the pack. I have had some cut in half but there was always at least 1 full size one just like it in the pack. Jelly rolls, charm packs, layer cakes, are the names Moda gave to their precuts and were the first fabric company to make precuts. I think they are wonderful to work with.

Ripped on Scotch 05-09-2011 06:13 AM

THe LQS by me will cut them for you. She has the machine that cuts strips so 2 or 3 of us all pick out the fabrics and in seconds she has the strips all cut. we can also get cirlces and the other shapes for the machine cut for really cheap. It's like the AccuQuilt for stores. fantastic stuff really!

puzzler 05-09-2011 10:45 AM

Friends in my quilting group take binding leftover from quilts and just keep sewing them together end to end. This works well if you use 2 1/2 inch binding. Then, they cut the strips into quilt width lengths and sew them together two by two, etc. to make a scrappy quilt. They don't bother trying to plan or "randomize" and the quilts are beautiful.

Winnemay 05-09-2011 11:02 AM

I have made many "quilts" using this method ... cut my stash in 1 1/2", 2" or 2 1/2" widths ... length is whatever it is ... sew using the jelly roll method and create a new piece of material which can be cut or make a quilt top ... queen and king take less than a day ... now I have more room for material ... quick and fun baby quilt or birthday gift! Remember to reverse the sewing order of each row so it does not buckle.

Winnemay 05-09-2011 11:02 AM

I have made many "quilts" using this method ... cut my stash in 1 1/2", 2" or 2 1/2" widths ... length is whatever it is ... sew using the jelly roll method and create a new piece of material which can be cut or make a quilt top ... queen and king take less than a day ... now I have more room for material ... quick and fun baby quilt or birthday gift! Remember to reverse the sewing order of each row so it does not buckle.

onemoe 05-09-2011 12:00 PM

what is the best method of sewing them end to end?

tweezy50 05-09-2011 12:05 PM

I call mine jelly roll soup. I cut my scaps 2 1/2" wide, or whatever I want and thenput them in a plastic shoebox until I need them. I mark each box with the width strip in it and keep it handy.

Shorebird 05-09-2011 03:49 PM

I have found that the Bali Pops are off by a lot.........but I have never had a problem with the Moda Jelly Rolls.......those have been "On The Money"......

jpthequilter 05-11-2011 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Moedeenie
There are 3 books available by Pam and Nicky Lintott with cute easy quilts to make from Jelly Rolls, either precut or from your own stash. The titles are "Jelly Roll Quilts", "Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts" and their newest book "Two From One Jelly Roll Quilts". These books have great pictures and easy to follow instructions. One tip I read was to cut a 2 1/2 " WOF strip each time you cut a new fabric and before long you will have your own collection of "jelly roll" strips.

Perhaps cut more than one strip each? While you are doing it...you would end up with four or five jelly rolls -just in case?