Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mixed hand and machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mixed-hand-machine-quilting-t90106.html)

grammer ann 01-13-2011 07:52 AM

I am hand quilting a large bed quilt. The quilting is getting to me like never before. The center is finished - thank God, but I have the nine inch borders yet to do. I plan to do them in just 1 1/2 inch cross hatching. The printed fabric will not be conducive to any special designs. Would it be bad for me to machine quilt the borders since the top is hand quilted? I usually enjoy the hand quilting, but this time it is getting to me. This quilt has just taken too long to complete. My dh says to put it away for a few months and then finish it. Maybe that is the answer. I usually don't like to start a new project before the first is done.

nativetexan 01-13-2011 07:54 AM

I machine quilted a king size quilt but hand quilted the borders. it's mine, so I did it my way.

joan_quilts 01-13-2011 07:55 AM

I have done that, but felt bad afterwards. When I commit to a hand quilting project, I really try to do it all the same way. I don't think there is anything wrong with machine quilting it, but, I just feel so guilty! Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be ok.

amandasgramma 01-13-2011 07:59 AM

I think the quilt police have taken a holiday -- go ahead and do it that way!!!! I see no problem!

Candace 01-13-2011 08:00 AM

I think your husband is right. Put it away for a while and take it out again when you're not frustrated and with new eyes.

raptureready 01-13-2011 08:06 AM

I've done quilting and tying on the same quilt and it came out beautifully. It's yours, make the decision and run with it what ever you decide. Don't second guess yourself after it's done, just enjoy the fact that it's finished. After all, second guessing causes guilt and guilt's just a waste of precious time.

emmamarie 01-13-2011 08:09 AM

I think the quilt police are snowed in!! I have done this and it turned out alright.

laceybritt 01-13-2011 08:19 AM

I mix hand quilting, machine quilting, and machine embroidery on my quilts all of the time. Like you said, the hand quilting will not really show in areas anyway.
Machine quilting is no longer thought of as the 'fast way out' and inferior to hand quilting. I have many friends that can no longer hand quilt and they still want to make quilts, machine quilting is easier on the hands.
In a baby quilt contest in a magazine there were 10 baby quilts submitted. The 3 winners were all machine quilted, the 2 hand quilted did not receive an honorable mention.
But hand quilting is still my fav!

quilterjody 01-13-2011 08:28 AM

I have seen quilts in a judged show that have both. It is a nice way to show off both your skills.

sewingladydi 01-13-2011 08:29 AM

No, it's not bad. I've done it before and it looks fine. And you have the added bonus of finishing it faster.