Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mixed hand and machine quilting

I am hand quilting a large bed quilt. The quilting is getting to me like never before. The center is finished - thank God, but I have the nine inch borders yet to do. I plan to do them in just 1 1/2 inch cross hatching. The printed fabric will not be conducive to any special designs. Would it be bad for me to machine quilt the borders since the top is hand quilted? I usually enjoy the hand quilting, but this time it is getting to me. This quilt has just taken too long to complete. My dh says to put it away for a few months and then finish it. Maybe that is the answer. I usually don't like to start a new project before the first is done.

Blog Entries
    I machine quilted a king size quilt but hand quilted the borders. it's mine, so I did it my way.

I have done that, but felt bad afterwards. When I commit to a hand quilting project, I really try to do it all the same way. I don't think there is anything wrong with machine quilting it, but, I just feel so guilty! Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be ok.

I think the quilt police have taken a holiday -- go ahead and do it that way!!!! I see no problem!

I think your husband is right. Put it away for a while and take it out again when you're not frustrated and with new eyes.

I've done quilting and tying on the same quilt and it came out beautifully. It's yours, make the decision and run with it what ever you decide. Don't second guess yourself after it's done, just enjoy the fact that it's finished. After all, second guessing causes guilt and guilt's just a waste of precious time.

I think the quilt police are snowed in!! I have done this and it turned out alright.

I mix hand quilting, machine quilting, and machine embroidery on my quilts all of the time. Like you said, the hand quilting will not really show in areas anyway.
    Machine quilting is no longer thought of as the 'fast way out' and inferior to hand quilting. I have many friends that can no longer hand quilt and they still want to make quilts, machine quilting is easier on the hands.
    In a baby quilt contest in a magazine there were 10 baby quilts submitted. The 3 winners were all machine quilted, the 2 hand quilted did not receive an honorable mention.
    But hand quilting is still my fav!

I have seen quilts in a judged show that have both. It is a nice way to show off both your skills.

No, it's not bad. I've done it before and it looks fine. And you have the added bonus of finishing it faster.

I agree to put it away for a bit and then decide when you aren't so frustrated. But in general, I think it's ok to mix machine and hand quilting in the same project. Life's too short to hand quilt in the ditch!

I agree with "it's your quilt, do it your way." I would have never thought to do both, but if I saw some nice examples of both being done, I'm sure I'd do the same thing!

Blog Entries
    I do both machie and hand in most of my qyuilts now anbd love it, do what you feel is right for you!

I've thought more about this and I think that to machine quilt the borders would actually highlight the hand quilting in the center. Sort of like a frame enhancing a picture.

Blog Entries
    I think mixing hand and machine quilting has been done for as long as sewing machines have been around. :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I would do whatever I want and since it sounds like machine quilting the borders would be easier on you, go for it!

There are no rights and wrongs.

(I think the quilt police are snowed in!! )

I love it. I just hope they aren't snowed in here in Iowa because we have a lot of snow. I am a hand quilter too and I would have to think about mixing the two (hand and Machine) but I have seen it done many times. Do whatever feels right to you.

Your quilt, your decision.

I have a friend who does beautiful hand applique.Another friend does hand piecing. Both send their quilts to longarmers. No reason why you can't mix hand quilting with machine quilting.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samifel
    There are no rights and wrongs.
    Yup- I totally agree :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Also- I've only really done hand quilting- learning to MQ this year. Large quilts can be really tedious after awhile. I've done them.
    Do what's right for U :)

I mix them in most of my quilts. I figure the first person that is rude enough to complain about how i make my quilts will get an anatomy lesson involving my pincushion and their posterior ;)
    It's mine I can do it how i want and if they don't like it they are more than welcome to make their own and quit picking on my projects lol

I would put it away for a while and then get it out later. If I hand quilt a quilt, I do it all by hand but I don't see a reason why you can't do both on the same quilt. Just remember, if there are no quilt police, then there is no quilters jail either. Create your own style.

I longarm quilt for customers, and one lady does beautiful hand quilting. But she says she just doesn't have time to quilt all of the tops she has been making. She has me load the quilt and quilt certain portions, then I baste the rest and she hand quilts those. So I say go for it!

Blog Entries
    It's your quilt--do it the way you want. I once did this when I got sick of hand quilting a queen size quilt. I still have it and use it and I haven't gotten arrested yet. :-)

Blog Entries
    I'm just finishing up a queen size and machine quilted (SID) all over and then am doing the fill-in work by hand quilting each block. Yes, it's taking some time and yes, it's looking good! Not one guilty feeling - just enjoyment in doing this!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast