Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mixed hand and machine quilting

I like to finish each project as I do it too. But if you will like the quilt when you are done and it won't drive you crazy, then do the machine quilting. Otherwise go ahead and start something else while you contamplate the finishing. Whatever you decide, it will be right for you!!

Blog Entries
    This question is really timely for me. I'm in the last stages of my baby Jane quilt. I have all the center blocks hand quilted and the pieced tris are also hand quilted (all QAYG)...but...I am just about to put it together and will need to do lots of SITD. Due to the size of the blocks and the numerous seams with PP...some of the "ditches" are really thick..I am thinking of doing that by machine. I just don't think my hands can tolerate doing it...so..I'll peek out the window before I start, but then think I'll go for it. You should too...

I have a friend who ties her quilts, uses them and as the spirit moves, takes out the ties and hand quilts a section at a time, eventually the whole quilt is hand quilted.

No one is going to come in your house and point fingers, do as you please and get it done so you don't lose your interest in quilting.

Carol J.

I took an heirloom quilting class from the master of machine quilting -- Harriet Hargrave. You can achieve a hand quilted look by using the nylon thread on top, and a silk or cotton thread in the bobbin. When the quilt is washed, and it scrunches up after drying it, the "look" is that of a hand quilted quilt. Can you try that??

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    I've done quilting and tying on the same quilt and it came out beautifully. It's yours, make the decision and run with it what ever you decide. Don't second guess yourself after it's done, just enjoy the fact that it's finished. After all, second guessing causes guilt and guilt's just a waste of precious time.
    I feel exactly the same way and have also tied and quilted in one quilt, a gift quilt even!

I just finished 2 hexangonal tabletoppers. One I did with FMQ, the other I handquilted a grid in the center (the center was a Baltimore Album pattern and just too many starts and stops to FMQ) and FMQed the border with a feather pattern. They both looked great. Phooey on the quilt police - its YOUR quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by grammer ann
    I am hand quilting a large bed quilt. The quilting is getting to me like never before. The center is finished - thank God, but I have the nine inch borders yet to do. I plan to do them in just 1 1/2 inch cross hatching. The printed fabric will not be conducive to any special designs. Would it be bad for me to machine quilt the borders since the top is hand quilted? I usually enjoy the hand quilting, but this time it is getting to me. This quilt has just taken too long to complete. My dh says to put it away for a few months and then finish it. Maybe that is the answer. I usually don't like to start a new project before the first is done.
    I hand quilt certain sections on the quilts I make as a personal touch.
    I don't know if there's a right or wrong as long as it comes out uniform without bunching.

Its your quilt, do what you want. If you see the quilting will not even show that much on the border, I see no reason for you not to finish it by machine.

I, too, have done both hand & machine quilting on the same project. In fact, I currently have one (Circle of Life pattern) where I hand appliqued the centers with embroidery floss, hand quilted around them in the block & then used a heart design from my machine & 'tacked' the border which is a dark print & won't show. The trio might summon the quilt police but I like it & plan to keep it so I won't answer the door bell.!

I am hand quilting a large bed quilt. The quilting is getting to me like never before. The center is finished - thank God, but I have the nine inch borders yet to do. I plan to do them in just 1 1/2 inch cross hatching. The printed fabric will not be conducive to any special designs. Would it be bad for me to machine quilt the borders since the top is hand quilted? I usually enjoy the hand quilting, but this time it is getting to me. This quilt has just taken too long to complete. My dh says to put it away for a few months and then finish it. Maybe that is the answer. I usually don't like to start a new project before the first is done.
    I was thinking of doing the same thing - I finished quilting the center of a quilt that is for me and thought maybe quilting the 2 boards by maching, which I have never done before (machine quilting) - but since I have my new machine (brother sq9000) I thought I would try it. thanks for asking this question. :)

I just finished quilting my avatar quilt. I had it machine quilted outside the applique work in a feather design and I hand quilted inside the bordered squares around the applique with cross hatching. I love the look :P

Grammer Ann-
    It is not worth doing cross-hatching by hand. I am sure your hand-quilted center is lovely but be rational about the borders. In cross-hatching, uniform stitch size is probably more important so go for it with machine-quilting and save your hand-quilting for feathers and stars,etc.
    Besides quilting is supposed to be fun and it doesn't sound like you are having fun.
    Finish your quilt by machine and start your next project with fresh enthusiasm.
    -Judy

Your Avatar Quilt is so pretty..... very showy! What is the next project??

Quote Originally Posted by paintedquilt
    I just finished quilting my avatar quilt. I had it machine quilted outside the applique work in a feather design and I hand quilted inside the bordered squares around the applique with cross hatching. I love the look :P
    I like this quilt --- very showy!!

. I usually don't like to start a new project before the first is done.[/quote]

Wow! I never seem to do that!! I always have 2 or 3 "irons" in the fire. If I waited-----I might never get another one made.

I've mixed machine and hand quilting and also hand pieced and machine pieced. Only the quilting police would take notice of it.

Blog Entries
    If it would really bother you to set this quilt aside for a while then go ahead and machine quilt it. I enjoy hand quilting, it's therapuetic for me. You could always start your next quilt project and if you don't want to get back to hand quilting this one you could machine quilt it after all. I think hand and machine quilting are both beautiful.

I've done both on several quilts-especially with mixed small and large blocks-stitched in the ditch on the machine on smaller blocks and did a design by hand on the larger-I thought they were fine and those I gave them to loved them-I think it's all about what you want to do-no set in stone rules!

Whatever gets the quilt finished sooner so you can enjoy it! I just recently dug out an almost hand-quilted that is over 20 yrs old and threw it on my Nolting mid-arm and quilted the few borders and sashing that were not quilting and guess what? it now is on my bed and I am enjoying looking at both my hand-quilting that is 20 yrs old and my new found machine quilting that goes so much faster.

It is your quilt you can do what ever you want.

I do both on my quilts -- I machine quilt anything straight line and hand quilt anything else that I want on there.....works for me and looks lovely (to me, anyway) ;-) I am currently working on a quilt-as-you-go - every other block is a butterfly - these blocks are machine quilted and then every other block is a beautiful Rose -- and these are hand quilted. So whatever works for you!

I think to will be beautiful no matter what you do.

Blog Entries
    I have done exactly that! I hand quilted the middle and machine quilted the border. My nephew and his wife loved it as it was!!!!

Done is better then another UFO! With cross-hatching, who will know unless you are looking to put it in a show? It's your quilt and you have the right to decide what and how you will quilt it!!! :thumbup:

Power Poster
    That is a dilemma. I once quilted a quilt by hand and was convinced to machine sew the borders. Now I wish I hadn't. I agree with your husband put it away for a little while (not months) and pick it up periodically when you are relaxing and don't put pressure on yourself to finish it. In the end you might be proud that you did the whole thing by hand. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast