Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixed hand and machine quilting >

Mixed hand and machine quilting

Mixed hand and machine quilting

Old 01-14-2011, 07:02 AM

I just finished 2 hexangonal tabletoppers. One I did with FMQ, the other I handquilted a grid in the center (the center was a Baltimore Album pattern and just too many starts and stops to FMQ) and FMQed the border with a feather pattern. They both looked great. Phooey on the quilt police - its YOUR quilt!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by grammer ann
I am hand quilting a large bed quilt. The quilting is getting to me like never before. The center is finished - thank God, but I have the nine inch borders yet to do. I plan to do them in just 1 1/2 inch cross hatching. The printed fabric will not be conducive to any special designs. Would it be bad for me to machine quilt the borders since the top is hand quilted? I usually enjoy the hand quilting, but this time it is getting to me. This quilt has just taken too long to complete. My dh says to put it away for a few months and then finish it. Maybe that is the answer. I usually don't like to start a new project before the first is done.
I hand quilt certain sections on the quilts I make as a personal touch.
I don't know if there's a right or wrong as long as it comes out uniform without bunching.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Its your quilt, do what you want. If you see the quilting will not even show that much on the border, I see no reason for you not to finish it by machine.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 AM

I, too, have done both hand & machine quilting on the same project. In fact, I currently have one (Circle of Life pattern) where I hand appliqued the centers with embroidery floss, hand quilted around them in the block & then used a heart design from my machine & 'tacked' the border which is a dark print & won't show. The trio might summon the quilt police but I like it & plan to keep it so I won't answer the door bell.!
Old 01-14-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by grammer ann
I am hand quilting a large bed quilt. The quilting is getting to me like never before. The center is finished - thank God, but I have the nine inch borders yet to do. I plan to do them in just 1 1/2 inch cross hatching. The printed fabric will not be conducive to any special designs. Would it be bad for me to machine quilt the borders since the top is hand quilted? I usually enjoy the hand quilting, but this time it is getting to me. This quilt has just taken too long to complete. My dh says to put it away for a few months and then finish it. Maybe that is the answer. I usually don't like to start a new project before the first is done.
I was thinking of doing the same thing - I finished quilting the center of a quilt that is for me and thought maybe quilting the 2 boards by maching, which I have never done before (machine quilting) - but since I have my new machine (brother sq9000) I thought I would try it. thanks for asking this question. :)
Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 AM

I just finished quilting my avatar quilt. I had it machine quilted outside the applique work in a feather design and I hand quilted inside the bordered squares around the applique with cross hatching. I love the look :P
Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 AM

Grammer Ann-
It is not worth doing cross-hatching by hand. I am sure your hand-quilted center is lovely but be rational about the borders. In cross-hatching, uniform stitch size is probably more important so go for it with machine-quilting and save your hand-quilting for feathers and stars,etc.
Besides quilting is supposed to be fun and it doesn't sound like you are having fun.
Finish your quilt by machine and start your next project with fresh enthusiasm.
-Judy
Old 01-14-2011, 09:38 AM

Your Avatar Quilt is so pretty..... very showy! What is the next project??
Old 01-14-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by paintedquilt
I just finished quilting my avatar quilt. I had it machine quilted outside the applique work in a feather design and I hand quilted inside the bordered squares around the applique with cross hatching. I love the look :P
I like this quilt --- very showy!!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM

. I usually don't like to start a new project before the first is done.[/quote]

Wow! I never seem to do that!! I always have 2 or 3 "irons" in the fire. If I waited-----I might never get another one made.