Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/money%24%24%24-spent-hooby-quilting-how-do-you-account-t174430.html)

flybreit 01-05-2012 03:53 PM

You are a braver woman than I - I'd be terrified to add up what I have spent!

However, when you're doing your accounting, don't forget to credit the value of the baby quilts, the bed and lap quilts, and the place mats. And some of your expenses may be one time costs - machine, rulers, mats, cutters, etc. Whatever I had left after those reductions, I'd count as my happiness/sanity allowance :-)

seamstome 01-05-2012 04:01 PM

The first year is pretty expensive because you have to buy gadgets and tools. Same goes when you start any new "style". But you will probably have that rotary cutter and those rulers for years to decades if you continue with the hobby.

Yes I spend alot but it's my hobby and I like what I produce. Think of it this way, I could have taken up golf and never produced anything.

seamstome 01-05-2012 04:07 PM

BTW, I put my entire life on a credit card since I do own businesses so I know within a few dollars how much I spend. It is good to know just because it does put some reality into it I also deduct what I donate.

Debbie B 01-05-2012 04:08 PM

I do keep my receipts. I'm not a professional, but I have sold a few things and did one church craft festival. I've only been in this hobby for a couple of years and I think you always spend more getting the tools that you need and will keep (hopefully) for a really long time, and of course, building your fabric stash...wait a minute...I think I'm kidding myself I spend way too much money, but I love learning this craft.

deedum 01-05-2012 04:24 PM

It can be very addicting and expensive, this wonderful hobby of ours. Yes it does keep me sane, it is my unwinding time. I have just this month put myself on a budget for this, I stash x amount of money away in a safe place and each month try to build on that. So far I am starting out good, with some gift cards and cash that came my way. I work fulltime and make good $, so I don't feel bad if I spend more. I do want to respect my husband and our money though and not get out of control.
Here is a funny for you! Today a group of friends are going on a little chocolate walk, cost $12 and they want me to go with them, I just think that is alwfully high for a piece or two of chocolate and baulked at the cost, yet if it was fabric I would of been all over it!

cathyvv 01-05-2012 04:26 PM

I am very bad - buy fabric a lot. I don't worry about it, but my husband does! We are very fortunate that we are in good financial shape. Having said that, I have bought sheets from Good Will for backing to save money. So maybe I'm not so bad after all.

Cheshirecatquilter 01-05-2012 05:14 PM

Check out on Amazon and some other sites what it would have cost you to buy all the items you have made, and I bet you'll see you come out way ahead.

tjradj 01-05-2012 05:49 PM

Ouch! That is one number I do not want to know! When I have money, I feed my hobby. When I don't, I scrounge from my stash. Beyond that, I let my accountant worry about my taxes at the end of the year.

Grandma Mary 01-05-2012 06:21 PM

Over the last 20 years, I have made many things...both sewing and painting, and sell them to anyone who is interested. I got smart one year and opened an account just to deposit any money that I received in payment. After about a year, I had enough saved that from then on, I use that account for my hobbies. I also put any money I might earn doing testing etc. in my old school district into that account. So, basically, I haven't had to dip into our regular money for the last several years. It helps alleviate any guilt I might feel if I am spending a lot.

linda8450 01-05-2012 07:56 PM

I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I don't have new clothes (I recently moved across country so all my clothes are new to my new friends!) and I don't buy new furniture as my antiques are wonderful. I have been sewing since I was 4 yrs old (collecting SocSec now) and machine embroidery has been my hobby for 5 years (now that costs $$). I have some stash, and I recently cleaned out my sewing room and found 6 sets of fabric designated for quilts with all the fabric needed to finish them. I recently traveled to Oregon, was new to quilting and stopped at about 14 quilt shops! I found RED HAT Fabric, lots of sewing themed pieces, etc. Cost me $40 in postage to mail the fabric home (can you take a guess at how much $$ was in that box?) I can't even imagine adding up my receipts!! Why?? Unless it is for tax purposes, I just toss them. If you add them up, are upset by the total, you won't want to cut that lovely fabric, or you might quit! What are you thinking? Burn them! Now! Linda