Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Power = No Sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-power-%3D-no-sewing-t193181.html)

MommaDorian 06-30-2012 04:29 AM

No Power = No Sewing

A severe storm knocked out our power last night, around 5:30pm. As of 7:30 am, we're still without. I'm using the battery on my laptop. So, I guess if we're without power I'm going to have to practice my hand quilting. :thumbup:

I'm also going to start frog stitching the binding on a small quilt I did yesterday. The binding has to be redone. I've gotten some great ideas here to improve it.

Annie68 06-30-2012 04:55 AM

Oh, there is nothing more stressful than a power outage. Sure hope you get it back soon. Good luck with the hand work.

I'm keeping all those in prayers who are without power in these terrible high temps.

bearisgray 06-30-2012 05:28 AM

And to think people have lived for eons without electricity!

Tartan 06-30-2012 05:29 AM

I hate that!!! Have they given you any time for getting it back up? If it's going to be few days then you might want to empty your freezer to a family member with power. You can go about 24 hours I think,if you don't open it? I've only had to do that once but it was a pain. Luckily my sister had room for my meat in her large freezer until our power came back on. You can get a generator but that needs to be located outdoors so the carbon monoxide exhaust doesn't get into the house. I hope you have power soon in this heat wave.

judylg 06-30-2012 05:36 AM

One of my least favorite times when the hydro goes out. Now I pull out handwork to do when that happens, although at night by candle light it does not work too good. We rely so much on the power being on and you do not know just how much until it is not on.

JabezRose 06-30-2012 05:41 AM

Treadle machine and one should stock up on those solar walk lights, work great in the house for power outage and recharge during the day. Work in candle sconces too if they are slim enough and get some of those rubber things that go on bottom of candle cups to put on them to make em fit candle wall scounces. Rain barrels next to house under eves with screens on them for flushing water. Grill food. Keep water stashed in basement for cooking. Gallons and the cases of bottles.

OCquilter 06-30-2012 05:47 AM

I borrowed my husband's camping headlamp the last time our power was out. It is a great light for handwork and for reading. I requested my own the next Christmas.

Silver Needle 06-30-2012 06:30 AM

I'm used the treadle last night just for fun. I'm planning to piece a king size quilt just with it.

qwkslver 06-30-2012 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5328022)
I'm used the treadle last night just for fun. I'm planning to piece a king size quilt just with it.

Lucky you. I would love a treadle. That would be great to be able to sew without power.

jlm5419 06-30-2012 07:13 AM

This is one of the reasons I wanted a treadle. A couple of winters ago I spent several days without power, and the only heat came from my gas log fireplace. THe fireplace and outside grill were lifesavers.