Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not Happy With My First Art Quilt Attempt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-happy-my-first-art-quilt-attempt-t123267.html)

catrancher 05-15-2011 11:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm taking a class from Quilt University--no complaints about the class so far. I'm just not very happy with the quilt I'm making. What do you think is wrong with this? Are my fabrics too busy? Something else? Am I putting in too much? Not enough? I'm thinking it will improve when I add thread embellishment to define some things, but will it improve enough that I'll be happy with it?

I'm giving you a picture of the image I'm working from--a little stone house I saw while traveling in Italy--followed by my so-called quilt interpretation.

I've never considered myself very artistic, and I'm feeling pretty discouraged by this. I'm only about 1/3 finished with it, obviously. Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

Photo I'm working from
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197435[/ATTACH]

My "interpretation"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197436[/ATTACH]

Murphy 05-15-2011 11:23 AM

You are kidding of course. This is great. You may send it to me if it won't work in your house (smile). You did a wonderful job. Thank you for sharing.

Debbie B 05-15-2011 11:25 AM

Are you kidding me...that's great! I wouldn't even begin to attempt something like that. Good work!

Hinterland 05-15-2011 11:25 AM

I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet

lsb142 05-15-2011 11:25 AM

I love it. I think your interpretation of the picture is wonderful.

Linda

BrendaK 05-15-2011 11:26 AM

It sure looks good to me. I think you are doing a great job. Maybe the tree and the flowers are too big. The house seems to be taller in the picture. But what do I know. I still think that you did a very good job on it. Brenda K

TonnieLoree 05-15-2011 11:26 AM

That is fabulous! I'll be happy to take it off your hands if you are still unhappy after reading all of the positive remarks that I predict you will be receiving here. :-)

catrancher 05-15-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
I think maybe you are focused too much on the details of the picture. Instead of trying to recreate the textures, try for the light, medium and dark values to establish the picture and add depth. Then you can add details, or not.

Janet

Thank you . . .that's good feedback. It does seem like there is too much going on. As I look at what others have done, I'm thinking they might choose one texture, and then the rest is pretty plain--just the shapes and the differences in light.

And thank you all for your kind comments. But really, I'm not fishing for compliments. I'm trying to figure out what's bothering me about it. It's hard working alone in one's sewing room and trying to be objective about one's work. Usually I'm not highly self-critical, but this is not turning out as well as I envisioned it.

EdieClay 05-15-2011 11:31 AM

I love your work ... I have not been brave enough to try it ... yet.

redmadder 05-15-2011 11:32 AM

Wonderful. Now, the tree next to the house seems too dark. Can you go lighter? Remember the foreground for balance. Wow. Wish I had the talent you do.