Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Once I Run Out of Relatives Who Do I Make Quilts For? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/once-i-run-out-relatives-who-do-i-make-quilts-t215540.html)

quiltingmommy 03-05-2013 10:50 AM

Hulalulu beat me to my idea. I was going to suggest looking for a way of donating for silent auctions as well. PTA's or school groups such as sports teams or bands are always looking for fundraising ideas (I have gone to way to many with my six kids). If you have a friend or a family member who is involved with a school group ask them. Or why not give your local elementary a call and find out if they are interested, who knows it might open up a friendship with the school leaders offering you many opportunities for service. I come from a long line of school teachers, and one thing that I have learned is that schools always need volunteers. You don't have to have a child in the school to help just the desire to be a part of someones life for good :)

Petey 03-05-2013 10:52 AM

I hear you - I also have been quilting for 3 years and have run out of family members who have not gotten a quilt already - one thing is to make another quilt for each family member because you are sooo much better then when you started. I also do charity quilts.

Jackie Spencer 03-05-2013 12:16 PM

There are always weddings, births, graduations, birthdays, anniversary's, Holiday's, and then there's "just because"
I have been quilting since 1975, most of my quilts have stayed in my family.

maminstl 03-05-2013 01:01 PM

I just make whatever I feel like making, and if I think it suits someone, it becomes theirs. I don't care if they stack up to the ceiling. I am new and have only made a few, but have two in production right now with no specific "home". I'll be happy to hang onto them until such time they get adopted out to a worthy recipient.

MadQuilter 03-05-2013 01:06 PM

If you make them they will find a home.

mom-6 03-05-2013 01:43 PM

I don't always know who will end up with a particular quilt. So I just keep making them and the destination appears, often with very little warning. In the past couple of weeks I finished two UFOs to give to friends. One went to a neighbor who had bypass surgery and the other was for a friend's grandson who was in the hospital. Nice to have something on hand that is close to completion for such occasions.

charsuewilson 03-05-2013 03:44 PM

A number of people have mentioned various charities. But don't you have siblings, nieces and nephews who you are close to?

Then there are other possibilities other than bed and lap quilts - wall hangings, table cloths, christmas tree skirts, ...
Sue

EllieGirl 03-05-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson (Post 5907145)
A number of people have mentioned various charities. But don't you have siblings, nieces and nephews who you are close to?

Then there are other possibilities other than bed and lap quilts - wall hangings, table cloths, christmas tree skirts, ...
Sue

This is where my delimma comes in. My sisters, daughters, nephews, nieces, all have quilts my mother quilted....she didn't piece, but she quilted. My mother is considered the goddes of sewing in our family, rightfully so, because she was vfantastic seamstress.

loves_2_quilt 03-05-2013 06:21 PM

I seem to keep finding someone to give mine to. I have donated a few and will be doing more in the future. Even if no one wanted/needed my quilts I would keep making them and my family would have to find them homes when my time came.
D

spokanequilter 03-05-2013 06:26 PM

Answer: YOURSELF!!! :)