Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Paper Piecing Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/paper-piecing-question-t61028.html)

ube quilting 08-24-2010 03:47 PM

I actually do by paper made for PP. It goes through the copier But I only use the normal or best setting on the printer never fast 'cause sometimes it prints too fast and distorts the pattern you are copying. I also find that when I have used regular copy paper the thickness causes the thread to loosen when it is torn from the fabric. If you like to hand copy your patterns which is very time consumming, tracing paper would be fine, just not as acurate or fast as using PP paper.

plainpat 08-24-2010 04:46 PM

Tracing paper is very easy to tear when you're done. I made most
patterns by using a needle...no thread & doing 6-8 copies at a time.
You can feel where the needle makes lines, so a bit quicker to know
if the fabric is covering the seam allowance.JMO

BKrenning 08-24-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
When I spritz my paper for stubborn removing, I've already removed the bulk and just have little sections left. At that point I'm down to tweezers anyway because the areas are always those pesky tiny spots. The water weakens the paper and doesn't pull at the seams.

I am unfamiliar with the folding the paper to see the seamline. I always stitch with the printed side facing me so I never have had this issue. Am I missing something? Maybe I just haven't tried anything very complex yet? Clue me in guys.

I had trouble making sure the fabric would fit since it goes on the unprinted side. By creasing the paper first, I could easily see that it was going to cover the spot.

Marquilt 08-24-2010 07:29 PM

When I've done machine paper piecing, I've always just used the cheap paper that I get in bulk for my printer from Staples to make my foundations. It's tedious and boring getting it out, but I've never had any damage to the actual stitching, and my machine is set to 2 for the stitch length, whatever that translates out to in reality.

I use a seam ripper to slit the large empty parts of the paper and do the rest of the removal with my fingernails, which are short, BTW. I don't worry too much about some of the shreds left in the seams. They won't hurt anything, and once you've got the back and batt under your top, no one will ever see those bits of paper again. If you're not planning on hand quilting in the ditch, they won't be in your way either.

blackbearbetty 08-25-2010 03:35 AM

I use vellum paper I get it at staples.

sandpat 08-25-2010 04:11 AM

I use a cheap tablet of tracing paper by Mead that I buy at Walmart. I trim it down to go through my printer and haven't had any problem with it. Its thin, cheap and readily available. it tears off easily, especially if I fold it. I used to use regular copy paper, but this is thinner and allows me to see through it better.

Also...if I have little stubborn pieces left in that will loosen the stitches...I just leave them. The water in the washer will dissolve them, so I don't worry about it. Don't tell the PP police though!

canuckninepatch 08-25-2010 04:33 AM

I have experimented with different types of paper - I thought computer paper sprayed with water teared fairly easily, although I would still have some bits and pieces left.

Then I tried the cheap dollar store newsprint type paper (doodle pads as mentioned already) and they are definitely the BEST!! No need to spray with water, rips off like a dream!!!

foxxigrani 08-25-2010 04:34 AM

I have looked and looked and I find that the school paper with the lines, works the best. Then I went to a dollar store, there was a package of thier printer paper open and it was as thin as the school paper and had no lines, so if anyone is getting paper there, check the printer paper, it may be the thin stuff. But if not, just get the school lined paper, it works great. I have done a queen quilt with that paper and its my first experience with paper piecing. Just make sure you get the size for your printer. There are two sizes. It worked for me. And was so easy to get off. Onion paper is so expensive, I tried others but this method works best. Good luck

Rita

jolo 08-25-2010 04:35 AM

I use my printer paper. as I sew with the lines up and toward me and the fab next to the machine .it tears off esily without damage to the stitches.

sidmona 08-25-2010 05:01 AM

I use Carol Doak's paper. Works great. Cheapest I've found it is at Hancocks of Paducah.