Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pin embedded in stippling! Now what? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pin-embedded-stippling-now-what-t82847.html)

JudyMN 12-14-2010 03:05 PM

I have just finished stippling the pieced section of a lap quilt for my sister. As I was folding it for the evening, I found I had somehow embedded a straight pin with a big head between the backing and the batting. I will not unsew 7 hours of work! Do any of you have any ideas what I can do now?

As long as I am on this site, I have one more question. I made a folded half inch border between the outside border and the inner border. How do I deal with it? I didn't plan on stippling when I stitched the folded border in place. Should I stipple it down, leave it loose (making it the only thing not stippled), or what?

Sadiemae 12-14-2010 03:08 PM

I had this happen and I was able to pull the pin part out and I left the head in. Probably not the best solution, but it worked at the time.

earthwalker 12-14-2010 03:09 PM

As Sadiemae suggested work the pin through and snip it with pliers, the head will be embedded but you will get the most dangerous bit out.

shequilts 12-14-2010 03:12 PM

It takes some doing, but here's what I did.
Locate the buried head and using another straight pin, directly over the offending pinhead, separate the "threads
until you can pop the pin up and out. If it is under the batting, approach from the back side. Patience is what it takes.

Up North 12-14-2010 03:15 PM

You can usually place a piece of fabric over that spot and whack it with a hammer to break the head then remove the pin part.

Ramona Byrd 12-14-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by shequilts
It takes some doing, but here's what I did.
Locate the buried head and using another straight pin, directly over the offending pinhead, separate the "threads
until you can pop the pin up and out. If it is under the batting, approach from the back side. Patience is what it takes.

------------------------------------
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. I do that every now and then, which is why I try to use the largest headed pins I can find.

JudyMN 12-14-2010 03:29 PM

Thank you, I'll try to use the hammer with a piece of fabric. I was concerned about making a hole if I hit the big ball with a hammer, but a piece of fabric should help. I'll try it on a scrap first then let you know what happened. JUDY

nativetexan 12-14-2010 03:30 PM

for your 'folded' border, i'd stitch in the ditch -next to the main one, leaving the folded one unstitched down.

JudyMN 12-14-2010 04:00 PM

The hammer method left a small hole. I probably hit it too hard. So I tried the "pull the threads apart" method. It was better, but it also took some of the color away. I'll use this any way. When I went to find the first pin, I found three more! What was I doing the day I "sandwiched"? I don't drink. Could it be the 21 inches of snow that day and a free day to quilt? I tried to get too much done with my bonus day.

Thank you for the information! JUDY

tellabella 12-14-2010 04:51 PM

I made a quilt last year for my nephew and he told me afterwards that they found a few extra pins ...it happens...