Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which quilt pattern intimidates you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-pattern-intimidates-you-t206169.html)

daisydebby 11-17-2012 06:22 AM

What an interesting post!!! Thought I'd never do Dear Jane, but, because of the gals on this site, I'm working right along on it. Haven't posted pics yet as I'm having problems with that:) Haven't done Mariner's Compass yet, but, will try one day...I plan on PPing those points. Guess I like the challenges and am up for it. Another quilt that I'd like to do someday as I've seen it here is Oh My Gosh...a gajillion pieces:) I love applique as I find it soothing. Can't wait to see all of the responses:)

kwajgirl 11-17-2012 06:41 AM

Check out Cheryl Phillips - phillipsfiberart.com - and her cut around rulers. Her directions for doing inset circles are great and these "rulers" let you do circles from 2" to 27". Just did an aboriginal quilt designed by her and used the 27" circle for the first time. Made life easy.

carolaug 11-17-2012 07:13 AM

I have been making the dunkards path....try using a gluestick. I need to finish my top. Hopfully today..not a lot of fun to make but it is looking good....I am keeping this one since I may not do anotherone,

Originally Posted by suebee (Post 5661972)
Anything with a curved seam, hate them! yes, Ive tried that dumb sewing machine foot specifically designed to "make it easier" does not, still time consuming.

wildyard 11-17-2012 07:53 AM

I cannot do paper-piecing. I have tried and just don't get it. LOL So I guess you can say that intimidates me. I am intimidated by bargello but not to the point of not trying it. I am definitely going to make one. I guess the other one that I wouldn't want to try would be the Double Wedding Ring.

keelybird57 11-17-2012 07:59 AM

Applique scares me. I have no talent for machine applique. I love to hand sew, just need to learn the best way to prepare the pieces. I love to paper piece and can do any pattern with that technique. I did storm at sea for son's wedding, did new york beauty for stepdaughter. Easy a d accurate with pp-ing, thank goodness! THis year, I'm going to tackle a lone star, too. Those diamonds look like a challenge. But maybe starch will save me....?

Joy Higdon 11-17-2012 08:08 AM

I just paid a bundle for fabric to make the Diamonds Jubilee Bargello. I opened the pattern yesterday and you talk about intimidated, wow. I am cutting the strips but don't have a clue how to piece it.

quiltingnonie 11-17-2012 08:21 AM

I'm with damaquilts - Dear Jane looks insane to me! And circles aren't so bad, but you have to go S-L-O-W. Applique is SUCH an art that I cannot/will not do - unless it is with the sewing machine! LOL

BellaBoo 11-17-2012 08:26 AM

I can't think of any. Some I find very tedious to finish though.

captlynhall 11-17-2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore (Post 5661714)
I've done a mariner's compass. It looks like a volcano sitting in the middle of the bed. I am determined to do it better someday, but other projects keep interfering.

That is too funny. Yea, I think it will be some time before I attempt a mariner's compass.

minstrel 11-17-2012 09:11 AM

Anything appliqué or curves for me. Been thinking about diving in and actually attempting a double wedding ring though. Oh, and paper piecing intimidates the heck out of me