Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   "Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/refurbished-quilt-thrift-store-find-t215338.html)

kaelynangelfoot 03-03-2013 07:11 AM

"Refurbished" Quilt - Thrift Store Find

1 Attachment(s)
I was horrified to find this adorable hand-made baby quilt at a thrift store for $5 and I rescued it. I'm going to remove all the ties, take off the bindings and replace the one or two blocks with stains, then quilt and bind it properly so I can donate it. Anyone else find projects like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]399437[/ATTACH]

gabeway 03-03-2013 07:24 AM

Found a totally unused one at goodwill store and bought for $10.00! It was for double bed and hand done. Donated it to local shelter.

mighty 03-03-2013 07:56 AM

I have not been able to find any but would love to.

DebbE 03-03-2013 07:58 AM

Makes me sad to think of how little value or importance a fellow quilters work (and love) was given -- it was probably a mother who felt it didn't 'go' with the decor in a baby's room....

oma66 03-03-2013 08:34 AM

How wonderful that you rescued this adorable quilt and will be fixing it up to donate it. I have found only one but I certainly keep my eyes open for others. The one I found was very ragged, but there was enough decent portions for me to make a 30 inch teddy bear for a toddler I knew. She is now 23 and still has that bear. I did not even know how to quilt when I made the bear, but I loved quilts.

Emma S 03-03-2013 08:39 AM

Wonder if the baby has fond memories of this quilt. I know my kids loved their "blankees", some are put away for their first borns.

ckcowl 03-03-2013 08:41 AM

i don't understand the (horror) or the saddness refered to when a quilt is (found & rescued) from a thrift store...do we not (donate) quilts all the time? do quilts not deserve to be passed on/shared with others who may not be able to afford them new- or know anyone who quilts and lovingly gifts them one?
i hope some of the quilts i have made & gifted over the years are (donated/passed on) when they are no longer needed/wanted by whom ever i gave them to in the first place---seems like a much better outcome than a landfill or just left in the bottom of a closet to rot away....i would much rather find them being shared.

dunster 03-03-2013 08:49 AM

I agree with ckcowl. I don't think that I'm throwing something away when I give it to a thrift store. Instead, I hope that someone else will be able to use it until it's all used up, or perhaps they will eventually pass it on to someone else. You (Kaelyn) have done just that, and have even taken the additional step of restoring the item to a better condition before passing it on. What more could any quilter want to have happen with her quilts?

GrannieAnnie 03-03-2013 09:12 AM

Quilt and bind properly??? Looks good to me for a $5 quilt!

ArtsyOne 03-03-2013 09:30 AM

The elephant fabric in your found quilt looks like a recent design, so the quilt couldn't have been that old before it was discarded. I once found two identical "house" quilts in different colorways for only $2.50 each at a thrift shop. They looked like samples from a quilt class - never used, never washed. I snapped them up so fast because I've always wanted to make a house quilt and just thought they are so complicated.