Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Replacing older machines. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/replacing-older-machines-t154783.html)

cheryl222 09-22-2011 05:02 PM

In the past couple of months I have been lucky to find some very good deals on vintage machines - 2 singers, a pfaff, and a sterling. They are all excellent straight stitching machines and the pfaff can do all kinds of fancy stuff. I have a Juki 98Q I love piecing on and an Husqvarna Quilt designer with all the bells and whistles. I use it only when sewing clothing. If I only quilted, I for sure would only need one of the old machines. They are so far above the newer machines as far as stitch quality.

TheSevenYearStitch 09-22-2011 05:15 PM

I'd stick with my old Bernina in a heartbeat. Already trying to figure out how to unload my newish Singer. My Brother sewing & embroidery I like and use occasionally, but sometimes I forget I have it, so if it was gone, it would be no biggie.

TinkerQuilts 09-22-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
When I get my treadle restoration finished, up and running I'll let you know.

Me too - recently acquired 66 treadle (from grandmother), along with the new-to-me 15-91. :roll:

miriam 09-22-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
I'd stick with my old Bernina in a heartbeat. Already trying to figure out how to unload my newish Singer. My Brother sewing & embroidery I like and use occasionally, but sometimes I forget I have it, so if it was gone, it would be no biggie.

I got rid of my Janome - I figured it was just setting around - I hated the dumb thing. It just didn't do what I told it to do and it wouldn't sew through much.

justtrish 09-23-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

I got rid of my Janome - I figured it was just setting around - I hated the dumb thing. It just didn't do what I told it to do and it wouldn't sew through much.

That is why I got rid of my newish Kenmore...It could not handle all the ruffles I like to make..

TheSevenYearStitch 09-23-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by justtrish

Originally Posted by miriam

That is why I got rid of my newish Kenmore...It could not handle all the ruffles I like to make..

While experiment with making decorative oven mitts, I discovered that my Bernina 1005 can sew through 6 layers of low-loft batting and 4 layers of cotton fabric. I realized that that was too much batting for my project, but it wasn't too much for my machine to handle!